Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela PIS

Default Medela PIS

I am currently using a Medela Double Select and am pumping about 6 times a day. I am a full time working mum and my son is 3 months old. I wish to breast feed him for as long as possible and am working towards exclusivley breastfeeding. (am currently supplementing with formula once a day) Besides all the accesories that comes with the PIS, is these a huge difference between the motor for the Double Select and the PIS? (I have already set up my own bag plus cooler bag that I take to and fro work for pumping) I am considering upgrading to a PIS Original or Advance or renting the Symphony if necessary.

My second question is : Sometimes my nipples feels sore because I find the suction is pulling my nipples. I have heard that the Avent IQ Duo has a more gentler suction pump that doesn't heart the nipple so much. Is that true?

Am really glad that I found this site and all the mothers alike that are breastfeeding. Thanks!

Default Re: Medela PIS

The PIS has a better quality motor than the double select. I think it also may have quicker cycles and more suction (don't quote me on that, though). You could call a Medela rep and ask about the differences. 1-800-TELLYOU or www.medela.com

Your nipples could get sore if the suction is too high, the cycles are too low (cycles are how long the suction pulls the nipple into the shield), or if the breast shield is the wrong size. Both Medela and Ameda offer different size sheilds.

I have heard the the Isis duo is gentler via this message board, but I'm afraid I don't know much more about it than that! I've read the advertisement, and it seems like a good option.

HTH!

Default Re: Medela PIS

I have the PISA and it works very well. I prefer quality over price. You get what you pay for most of the time. I have am very pain sensitive and have it set to high each time I pump, I feel very little to no irritation at all. I also find that it only takes 8-10 minutes to fully express, versus some of the other pumps that take 20-30 minutes. However, with that being said, I'm not pumping a large amount at a time - just approximately 18-20oz per day (and I haven't really made any effort to build up my supply).
    Last edited by superbabe621; May 18th, 2006 at 01:32 AM.