Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re: baby falls asleep at the breast & stops sucking

Default Re: baby falls asleep at the breast & stops sucking

My son will be 1 month tonmorrow and I didn't even know that I was supposed to keep him awake or rather wake him up. That explains why as soon as I lay him down, he wakes up. Is this why he is constantly at my breast? I barely get a chance to eat or do anything else because he's constantly at the breast. A few bfing moms told me that this is how it is for the 1st month. He's a month already and it doesn't seem to be stopping. What else am I doing wrong I wonder? I knew it wasn't normal for him to be at my breast 24-7! I also heard from other moms that they go 2-3 hours in between feedings. I can't get past 10 mins! I am a 1st time bfer, but have 2 kids. My 1st one wouldn't latch on and I didn't really get too much help from the hospital. How do I know when he is officially done feeding?

Hi Candice

At one month of age "normal" is pretty variable. It's VERY common for a baby this age to want to be at the breast all the time. You aren't doing anything wrong.

If your baby is falling asleep at the breast and waking up as soon as you lay him down, then you might find it helpful to encourage him to try to get a longer feed in. Putting him skin to skin can help immensely, as can breast compressions.

It's crucial to evaluate whether or not baby is getting enough to eat. Here is an article that can help you decided that: http://www.lalecheleague.com/FAQ/enough.html

It's important to remember that what is normal for one breastfeeding couple may not be normal for another breastfeeding couple. Continue to follow your baby's cues. You'll both start getting the hang of it soon and you'll find it much easier.

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Jen said it all, but I just wanted to offer you a and some support. Hang in there, mama!