Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Occasional episodes of not enough milk

Question Occasional episodes of not enough milk

This is the second time this has happened. Both occassions were in the evening, the last feeding of the night for my three month old baby girl who sleeps through the night. This happened last week and tonight. I was nursing her and she was doing good but during nursing it appeared that I did not have enough milk for her. She got very frustrated and acted like there wasn't any milk coming out. I attempted to express some myself and very little came out. She was very upset and crying and I was not able to get her to stop crying so I knew that she was still hungry. Luckily I had some breast milk in the refrigerator that I had expressed during the middle of the night. She was eating fine during the entire day but for some reason tonight and another night last week I have run into this problem. What could the reason be?? Or what could be happening? It concerns me and I am worried. What should I do? Also, what would I have done if I didn't have any breast milk for her in the refrigerator?

Default Re: Occasional episodes of not enough milk

I've kind of had the same experience. Tonight he was screaming while I was making dinner so we gave him a bottle of breastmilk. After dinner I went to pump and there was only 2 oz. I've been noticing the last few days that it seems like I don't have as much milk in the evenings. If I find anything out, i'll let you know.

Well, it's probably a growth spurt. Your little girl is doing so to increase your milk supply. Nurse her as much as you can, expecially during the night. Co-sleep with her. In the evening the milk is more light, otherwise very early in the morning your milk is more nutrient: co-sleep with her and she will be satisfied, your body will remember that your baby needs more milk. Don't give up! :-) Probably it's only a temporary stage.

Ciao!

I concurred with the pp. It's probably a growth spurt, that's why it might look like she's never satisfied, it should go away in a few days. Just do what the pp recommended. Also don't use the pump as an indicator of how much milk you have, it often cause false alarms.