Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux recommendations

Default Reflux recommendations

I think my DS has a case of baby reflux. He spits up frequently, has the hiccups all the time, screams like he's in pain when lying on his back. I am going to try feeding him tummy to tummy at a 30 degree angle and to keep him upright for 30 minutes after a feeding. What other ideas are there to help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Reflux recommendations

First, so sorry that you guys are going through that. Reflux is tough, but a lot more common that most people think. Breastfeeding is best, so you are already helping there. I read somewhere that laying baby on the left side can help keep some valve in the stomach closed so maybe if you nurse laying down or find a different position that allows you to nurse both breasts while he stays with his left side down.

Do make sure that you keep him upright for 30 minutes afterwards. He MAY need medication, the little guy that I watch during the day took baby prevacid and another medication for a few months but he is now off it and fine.

Can you get a copy of Dr. Sears' book The Baby Book? He has a great section on reflux and how to help it and what to look for. The library might have it, but if not it wasn't too expensive and is by far my most used baby book ever.

Good luck, and know that from our experience (friends, etc) most of them outgrew it pretty quickly. How old is your little guy?

He'll be four months old this weekend.

I think I've been nursing him incorrectly the last four months. I never had him properly aligned, but last night I took great care to have him alligned properly, with his tummy against mine, and his ear, shoulder and hip all lined up. He didn't have to burp at all, which is unusual, so I think it helped him to take in less air. He also went back to sleep without any fuss (the mattress is inclined about 30 degrees), which is also unusual.

I'll see how he is today, because I did read that reflux is generally less severe at night.

I'll see about checking out that book. Maybe I can get it off Amazon.

Thanks!

I'm also under-going the same thing. I feel I also did'nt position her properly when I fed her and never cared to burp her.Did u see any improvement with u'r new positioning ?
    I feel mostly I end up putting her flat while nursing which increases her reflux.In what position do u feed her ?I want to try what u said and see whether she improves

TIA
    Mangai

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/ger.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...gSep97p75.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJanFeb98p13.html

do you have food allergies in your family? or other allergies?
    Sometimes just cutting out cows milk can help some babies feal beter and as they get older they do beter with some cows milk in your diet.
    how old is your baby?
    heres some links that might help..

I don't hold my daughter in a complete 90 degree upright position for 30 minutes, but keeping her head inclinded deffinitly does help. I use a sleep positioner wedge under the matress in her bassinet, and she has no problems going down immedietly after a feed and a burp. If I were to put her flat on her back, however, she would scream and fuss, and most likely spew.

On occasion I have used the bolster roll postioner (or what ever it's called..lol) to prop her up on her side, when she's especially fussy, and it has helped, but keeping her inclined is usually the ticket.

I also found that laying her on the boppy, comepletely horizontal, while she feeds leads to a lot of fussing on the breast, so now her head and shoulders rest on the boppy, and her butt goes through the hole in the center and sort of rests on my belly/lap so that she's inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by mangai
    I'm also under-going the same thing. I feel I also did'nt position her properly when I fed her and never cared to burp her.Did u see any improvement with u'r new positioning ?
    I feel mostly I end up putting her flat while nursing which increases her reflux.In what position do u feed her ?I want to try what u said and see whether she improves

TIA
    Mangai
    I have definitely seen some improvement. The frequency of his spit ups has gone way down. He only spits up maybe once or twice a day now, instead of after every feeding like before.

I use the cradle hold but without a pillow to support him so that his head can be higher than the rest of his body. I also ALWAYS burp him after eating now, even at night if he's fallen asleep at the breast, other wise he will wake up very unhappy.

I didn't buy one of those wedges for under the mattress, I just put a pillow (or bunched up towels work too) to raise the one end a little bit. (not too much or he rolls down! )

He doesn't have the screaming fits as often (still maybe once a day....but not all the time like before) and even if he lies flat it doesn't seem as bad. So either what I'm doing is helping, or he's growing out of it! Either way, I'm happy that it doesn't look like I'll have to resort to medication.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by amberlori
    Either way, I'm happy that it doesn't look like I'll have to resort to medication.
    My DD is on Zantac. Personally, it has reduced A LOT of her symptoms, and over the course of two weeks it made for a much happier baby. I'd also like to point out that the dosage they start you on, is not the one you need to continue giving. Once you titrate it into their system you can gradually reduce it until you find the right amount. We started at 1ml twice a day, and are down to less then half of that with the same results.