Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 weeks 5 days old & 2days w/no poop, bf.

Default 3 weeks 5 days old & 2days w/no poop, bf.

We don't know what to do, we are really worry Carolita Tuly has not filled her nappy for the pass 2 days, should we be alarmed? or this is normal for a bf. baby, she was born last April 13, 2006, she has been doing great pooping and wetting the nappies, but it's going to be 3 days tomorrow w/out pooping.
    Can anyone give us an inside on this wounderful new experience?

Default Re: 3 weeks 5 days old & 2days w/no poop, bf.

I think that is a bit early to slow down that much on the bowel movements. Justice had them with each feeding until about 3 mos. But at first we had to stimulate him a little with the pooping, my lactation consultant suggested taking his temp. you know where and seeing if that wouldn't get things going and sure enough-he blew out the next diaper and didn't stop doing that. So, I would call the pediatrician and see what you need to do.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. DS went from having 2-3 dirty diapers a day to suddenly going 4 days without. Just make sure if you go out to take extra clothes, as it will probably be a "blow-out" when it does happen. DS is now 4 months old and he slowly became more regular, having a dirty diaper every 1-2 days.

It isn't common for a baby to go days without pooping until around age 3 months. I think you are wise to pay attention to this, but don't panic just yet.

How is the baby doing otherwise? Has she been growing well since birth? How often does she nurse? Is there any change in her behaviors recently? Are there any signs of illness or unusual fussiness since she stopped pooping?

--Rebecca