Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: mysterious sound: not quite a smack, not quite a click

Default mysterious sound: not quite a smack, not quite a click

My daughter is 6 wks old. Breastfeeding has been going very well (based on weight gain and output). However, in the last three weeks or so she has begun to make a strange sound. My nipples have also become a little sore, which may or may not be connected. Her latch *appears* to be good but she is making a sound that's not quite a smack or a click. The only sound I can compare it to is when I "click" the back/middle of my tongue against the roof of my mouth. Though again, I'm not sure what is going on. She doesn't lose suction so it's definitely something with her tongue (not lips), at least I think so. Her mouth is clean and we don't have any other visible symptoms of thrush. Also, she doesn't do this all the time. She does it more frequently when she is distracted and nursing and not at all when she has "dream feeds" (i.e. eats at night when she's in a light sleep and really gulps it down). I've had my doula and a friend with lactation training check it out and they don't recognize it so I don't think this is a common problem. I haven't been able to nurse at a LLL meeting yet but I plan to. Any thoughts on what this could be? Thanks.
    Last edited by jcclowen; July 29th, 2007 at 03:50 PM.

Default Re: mysterious sound: not quite a smack, not quite a click

Hi there

Based on the fact that your nipples are sore, I'd say it probably is a latch problem. She probably needs a deeper latch.

You might try letting her latch herself and see if that solves the problem--put her skin to skin with you near the breast and see if she just does it herself. Many mothers are surprised to find that their babies will do this naturally, and they will usually latch well with little or no interference from mom. The fact that she nurses well when she dream feeds is a good sign--she knows what to do!

I'm glad to hear that you are going to a LLL meeting!

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Thanks for the reply. I also thought it was a latch problem but am not so sure now. Why? Two things: 1) nipple soreness results from her latching alone > w/my direction and 2) the sound occurs regardless if the latch is deep or shallow. FYI: I'm taking care of the nipple soreness w/a little more latch discipline and it seems t work.

Truly, the only thing I can consistently associate it with is the texture of my breasts: the firmer they are, the less likely or frequent this sound is to occur. (We still co-sleep but since I posted this the "dream feeds" are infrequent. She's basically weaned herself off night feedings - not really my doing - and prefers to eat about every 90 minutes from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.)

A mom with lactation training and good nursing experience (1 yr. with daughter and almost three years with her son) mentioned that her second child (her son) made this sound also. She thought it was the baby allowing the nipple and/or breast pop off the roof of his mouth. And further that she thought this was causing increased air intake. This is something I've observed also, which leads to much more gassiness when this happed more often.

If you know what this is and/or have experience with PLEASE respond. My bf instincts are telling me that this isn't good and I'd like to make some changes but I'm at a loss to figure out which ones.

Hello again!

the trouble with problems like yours is that we aren't there in person to see/hear the problem Have you been able to contact a LLL Leader (see the link in my signature) or an IBCLC in your area?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

My LO made a clicking type sound for a while there in the beginning. My LC watched and listened and said sometimes they remove suction slighty right after let down to control the fast flow of milk as a way to avoid choking. Do you notice it in the 2-4 minutes after a letdown?
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet