Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to quit!

Default About to quit!

I know you all have read many posts like this and have probably helped many moms. My son turns 3 months today. Breastfeeding has not been so wonderful but we get through it. I broke down the other day and bought a pump thinking I would just pump exclusively. I haven't opened it yet! I don't want to pump and I don't want to give him formula but I am stressed everytime I go to feed him. He eats great for his 3 am feeding and his early morning feeding but the rest of the day is crazy, especially in the evening and before bed. I have plenty of milk and sometimes the let down is too overwhelming (doesn't bother him in the morning). He wants to look around, pull off, sometimes cry. sometimes he eats just enough to give him a snack and then he's hungry in an hour. And other times he won't eat for 4 or 5 hours between feedings. What is the deal? I can sometimes hear gas in his tummy and I can tell it bothers him. I was really hoping I could go the whole year without bottles and pumping. Of course, everyone around me thinks I am crazy and should quit all together, especially family. I am thankful for my husband who is my only real supporter. All the suggestions, advice, support would be greatly appreciated.
    I did try to contact a LLL meeting club in my area but no would return my enquiries.
    Thanks!

I nursed my daughter for 1 month and then pumped for 4 months, don't want to do this again!

Default Re: About to quit!

Around 3-4 months babies become more aware of their surroundings and go through a phase where they are easily distracted. Try to limit the distractions while nursing. It usually helps to go in a room that is dark and quiet with no one else around. As for the gas, we used mylicon drops which you can by over the counter. I am not for sure how much they helped, but it may be worth a try. I also had to limit the milk in my diet for a few months because that was what was causing my DD's gas problems. I work fulltime so I have to pump several times a day for bottles for daycare. I hate pumping and recommend not doing this if at all possible!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Hi, I just want to send you hugs. Just know you are not alone! My girl just turned 4 months and some days are great and others not at all. After basically formula feeding my first two I am really glad I am sticking with breastfeeding this time. It is can be hard but very rewarding. Some days I want to cry cause its so hard confusing frustrating etc.. and others its the best thing ever! I think its normal what she is doing for her age but maybe I am wrong. Anyway hang in there!

Good info on gass http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...html#gascauses
    Last edited by mommywith3; August 9th, 2007 at 09:09 AM.

I second the dairy thing! Seems like this affects so many babies unknowingly! Try eliminating it for a few weeks to see if it helps. Also try nursing laying down so that you and baby are more relaxed. And maybe even try distracting your LO (toys, a walk outside, a trip to the park or a store, car ride) till it's obvious he's hungry...maybe he's just not hungry enough. But with my LO, her nursing really got better when I eliminated the dairy cuz her little tummy wasn't hurting anymore! Before it was like she wanted to eat all the time but was always fussy about it. Its like a vicious cycle! Nurse cuz my tummy hurts and then my tummy hurts cuz i nursed! Now its alot more obvious that she's hungry, and she's more content in between. So read those labels and give that a try! I wish I had a lot sooner! Definately don't give up or feel like you have to pump if you don't want to! It will get better

I know it is really hard sometimes, but when DS was going through his very active nursing, distractable phase, I had to learn to just go with the flow. It wasn't easy, and about the time I finally got to where all of his antics didn't bother me so much, he started to be more calm about nursing.

I don't think it's all that unusual for an EBF baby to sometimes snack and sometimes take more of a full meal. The great part about breastfeeding is that it doesn't take much effort on your part to give a snack or a meal. I know you said you EPed for your first after the first month. Were you used to more of a schedule for your first where you gave her about the same amount at a routine time? I am just wondering if maybe that's part of what's bothering you about your lo's nursing pattern. It's amazing how are expectations can impact our experiences. I know a lot of my expectations didn't match up with the reality of nursing my son and that was hard at times.

Hang in there! I think it takes time to get past the hard work of nursing to the really rewarding part. DS is 18 mo and when he says "no-no" (his word for nursing) while looking into my eyes and smiling with the sweetest smile, I know all the hard work has been worth it.

I went through the same thing when my son was about the same age (hence my username "desperate"). It is a 3-4 month old thing to be distracted. I got so stressed out that I decided to pump exclusively but my baby would not take a bottle. When I think back now I regret that I made myself so miserable with all the stress. They all passed (now we have other stresses at 13 months like solids and stuff but BF is fine.) My suggestion is don't think about it too much and try to just go with the flow as much as possible. Your baby will tell you when he is hungry and he will eat when he is hungry. As for the gas, drinking fennel tea (myself) helped him very much.

I am having the same exact problem which is why I'm here! My son just turned 3 months yesterday.

We do use the pump/bottle occasionally and I am SO JEALOUS of my husband who can just sit down with him and calmly give him the bottle - no problems at all. No squirming, fussing, whipping his head away on the bottle.

Hope it gets better for both of us...

Around 3-4 months was when I ended up buying my bebe au lait nursing cover with Jack... he was so distractable I had to use it even in the house. It helped a ton... here's where I got mine: www.bebeaulait.com. It was fab and was easy to use. I hope this helps!

Congrats for lasting 3 months! It's always difficult at the beginning, but it gets better. And you will come to enjoy the breastfeeding relationship. Meanwhile, to you. Kudos to your husband too!

You sound concerned about the frequency of feeding and baby's pulling off behaviour. Well, breastmilk digests easily (within 45 mins), and it's common for baby to be hungry shortly after eating. And sometimes, he eats a full meal, sometimes a snack. So it's not unusual for a breastfed baby to eat irregularly.

Do you think you might be having overactive let down (OALD)? You could read this article and see if it fits.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

And this also has helpful suggestions:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/bf30.asp

But if you are having problems only in the evening and just before bed could it be baby is overtired at those times and generally more fussy? All babies seem to have a period in the day when they are fussier than usual.

Keep up the good work mama!
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Quote Originally Posted by tlcbran View Post
    He eats great for his 3 am feeding and his early morning feeding but the rest of the day is crazy, especially in the evening and before bed.
    What is different at these feedings (location, position, noise level, ect)?

I have plenty of milk and sometimes the let down is too overwhelming (doesn't bother him in the morning).
    What position is he fed in during the morning?

He wants to look around, pull off, sometimes cry.
    Frustrating, but normal for a baby this age. Could you try nursing in a room with few distractions? Maybe even pull the shades and make it darker? You could also try using a nursing necklace to help him keep his attention focused on you.

sometimes he eats just enough to give him a snack and then he's hungry in an hour. And other times he won't eat for 4 or 5 hours between feedings. What is the deal?
    Totally normal! As long as he is having plenty of wet and poopy diapers, you can rest assured that he is getting the milk he needs.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

I can sometimes hear gas in his tummy and I can tell it bothers him.
    You might consider trying to burp, bicycle his legs, or give him a gentle massage.

I was really hoping I could go the whole year without bottles and pumping. Of course, everyone around me thinks I am crazy and should quit all together, especially family. I am thankful for my husband who is my only real supporter. All the suggestions, advice, support would be greatly appreciated.
    It's wonderful to hear that your dh is supporting you.

I did try to contact a LLL meeting club in my area but no would return my enquiries
    If you will PM me with the location of the Group, I'll try to find out some information for you.