Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: she's 2 1/2 and adores nonnies

Default she's 2 1/2 and adores nonnies

my daughter still nurses almost as much as she ever did. she wakes up in the early morning and nurses before waking up for a few hours. she has never spent the night without me. sitting down at the table for meals, she likes to sit on my lap and would rather nurse than eat. she nurses throughout the day. never seems to be deeply sleeping; is awakened really easily. it's not that i mind nursing. i'm just a little worried that perhaps she may be getting too attached for her age?? as that last sentence has left my brain and found it's place in this thread i cringe a little because it is so opposite of my previous approach to nursing and parenting. i have moved to a new county and keep missing the once a month meeting. it's been 5 months and i really need the support and likemindedness of the women. i hope these women will be as supportive and open as what was my experience with lll in the previous county i lived in. thanx, any thoughts and advice will be much appreciated!

Default Re: she's 2 1/2 and adores nonnies

My dd self-weaned at 16 1/2 mos. when I ran out of milk due to pregnancy, so I don't have any real experience with this. Are you looking for support to continue nursing or advice on weaning techniques?
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Please let us know how it goes at your next meeting!
    Your 2.5 yr old nurses quite a bit and you are wondering about if it's "too much" or maybe "too long"? You had a supportive group of mothers from another LLL area but have since moved and are wondering about the support you might receive with these new mothers. It can be challenging to feel like you are going against the tide, nursing an older toddler. I think many mothers wonder if they are the only ones around "still" nursing. But rest assured, you are not alone! At that age, some older toddlers may nurse frequently and continue to enjoy the comfort of co-sleeping and night nursing. While others that age may be nursing only once or twice a day. There is quite a wide range of normal when it comes to older toddler nursing patterns.
    If there are parts of the nursing relationship that make you uncomfortable, it's OK to place some limits on when/where/why you nurse. But if you are OK with it, it's also OK to keep going as you are. Your dd may need that extra closeness, bonding, reassurance, & nutrition that nursing provides. As they get older, those needs gradually lessen in intensity and they become more willing to accept other ways to fulfill those needs.
    As I mentioned in another post, like the author Larry Cohen says, it's OK to trust in attachment and affection. And it's OK to trust in normal child development. The book Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner does a wonderful job outlining different ages and stages of the nursing relationship. Maybe your new local LLL Group will have a copy that you could borrow (if you haven't seen it already).
    I hope this helps a little!

Mary

I cherrish every moment that DD nurses because I am afraid of the day that she will decide she doesn't need to nurse anymore. Maybe that will change as she gets older. If you and your LO are enjoying it, what's to worry?

I am sure that your new county LLL will be supportive. That's what they are there for! I was shocked at my first meeting to see a 3 (or 4) year old nursing but the more I nurse the more I understand extended nursing!

My DD is 22 months and happily nursing in the morning immediately after waking as well as after naptime and I still nurse her to bed as well. She also nurses 2-5 times more/day depending on what's going on. Did I mention I have a 3 mo DS. He also gets his fair share of nursing time. I supplement him with formula and I did this with my DD too and she still wants to nurse and not drink milk, although she did drink milk sometimes before my DS was born. At times, things can be chaotic and cause me to feel so irritated and stressed out, but I still nurse her bc I know this will be my one and only time to do this for her. I know that one day I'll look back and wish I could be right where I am with my children now. And whatever I may feel now, ie, ambivalence, will disappear, when I look back at all these special moments with my baby/toddler, and when they too look back at what we did together, and how special our relationship was and still is.
    I know you are doing the right thing. Take heart and take care of you and your child. I also want to say that I have help with my children at night from my husband and his parents and this gives me a break from taking care of them and giving myself time to do things alone if I need to, although I usually spend time with my husband, children, and in laws. On the weekends they all pitch in to help with the kids too. This has been a factor in my decision to continue. I just wanted to include this info bc I don't know what your time is like, if you have help, etc. Good Luck!

Kimberly

wow! thanx everyone for great support and great advice. i am so happy to still be bf. i love it so much. i have realized that she has just officially entered a new phase and has gone from wanting to pull other babie's hair and grab at them to wanting to run holding hands, pet them and play with their hair, etc. i think she wants more stimulation, maybe is frustrated and has excess brain activity that she doesn't know what to do with, hence not sleeping well at night. she's doing great and all i have to do is listen to her and be intune with her and she will tell me what she needs. i realize the bf gives her security rather than takesv it away. i know that and have known that. thanx all for being their for much needed support and understanding.