Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow flow nipples

Default Slow flow nipples

I don't know if this is the right forum, but here goes: does anyone know of a nipple that closely imitates suckling at the breast? I am going back to work soon, and my breastfed baby will soon be taking bottles of pumped milk while I am away. The nipples that came with my Medela pumping kit let the milk gush out way too fast. My dd is already a bit of a lazy nurser, so a fast-flowing nipple on a bottle is the last thing we need. I am hoping to find a nipple that has a much slower flow and that fits the tons of Medela storage bottles I already have. Thanks for any suggestions!

Default Re: Slow flow nipples

i tried about every bottle out there...and my lo hated all except the platex bottles with the drop ins...the clear ones...try those i love them the best...and they are soft

IA!! Platex makes several nipples, but they have a few slow flow that are suppose to be "like the breast". they are called NaturalLatch. they have the normal "slow". I haven't started my lo on a bottle yet, but i purchased these b/c i remember my DD liked them!!! (Plus, they were at a close out sale!!!)
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

We really like the BreastFlow. It's got a nipple inside of a nipple. It's been great for us. The nipple tip is too short for the baby to get ahold of, so she has to open wide and take the wider part in. She has to suck a while before the milk comes because she has to suck it through the inner nip to fill the outer nip - simulating let-down delay. And the flow is really slow. It took LO 30 minutes to finish a bottle. By comparison, the breast is easier.

I used breast flow and I liked them -- till I read about BPA. Then I went and bought Born Free bottles. I switch her back and forth between the Born Free bottle and Playtex drop ins bottles with the silicon naturalatch nipples. It takes her about 15-30 minutes depending on her mood, hunger, etc to finish 4-5 oz.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

I agree! The playtex drop-ins worked really well for me with my first DS. That was 4 years ago and the only bottle/nipple he would take. Then, the nipples he liked were called "Traditional," but they are the same as the "NaturalLatch." Try those! HTH!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

What's BPA?

THe only bottle DS will tkae is the playtex ventaire standard nipple ( stage 1 flow) and i love them. I tried EVERYTHING

First let me say...I would reccomend only buying one bottle of a specific brand until you see what your LO likes. She may hate the bottle you like and then you are stuck with extra bottles you can not use not to mention the $$ you spent on them.

Early on we tried Avent, then the Breastflow bottle by First Years, then Dr. Brown's. My LO refuses the Avent from both my husband and I. She will only take the Dr. Brown's from my husband and will only take the Breastflow bottles from me early on. We are guessing the difference is b/c the Breastflow is more like a breast and I nurse her so it is all she will take from me but I do not use a bottle that often these days now that she is finally nursing!!

She is now 10 months old and is still using newborn nipples on the bottles. Try different ones and you will find one that your LO likes.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

I use Breastflow as well.