Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success stories? Please reassure me!

Default Success stories? Please reassure me!

I'm just having a terrible day and feel like a terrible mom, so I thought I'd ask for some success stories to keep me going. I am not big buddies with the pump...hate it in fact (Medela Lactina)...but am trying to increase production just to reassure myself. We were in the hospital trying to see what the issue was with my LO's weight gain, but all that happened was that the nurses would weigh her before and after she ate (sometimes great, sometimes not so much) and then each time I'd pump, they'd say "That's all??!! You don't have enough milk!"

When I finally pumped a good bottleful of milk, the nurse decided it was too old, poured it down the sink, and then said "Well, what are you going to feed your baby? She'll have to wait three hours now. You shouldn't have done that." I thought I would slip over the edge into complete insanity for a couple of moments then, but I'm still hanging on by my fingernails. Anyway, they tried themselves to give her formula supplements but she didn't want them. I sometimes think it's not the fact that I don't produce enough but that she just doesn't eat. When she's done, she's done and I can't get more into her, although I'll can feed her some of my expressed milk with a spoon. I feel like all I do is struggle to get my baby to eat.

Now I'm trying to feed feed feed and pump to increase production, just because it couldn't hurt. I am never sure now whether I have enough or not. I do know if she'd eat well each time I fed her she'd definitely be taking in as much as the average on the charts. She seems to have plenty of wet and dirty diapers, although her poop is slowing down. She only had one yesterday but it was massive.

So, I'd love to hear any stories of how you were successful at increasing production through pumping, especially if you started off with less than an ounce. I guess I shouldn't expect to have fountains and fountains, but if anyone ever worked hard enough and actually got there, please let me know!

Default Re: Success stories? Please reassure me!

ugg kick that nurse in the but!
    I would complain how she treated you was wrong!

Some babies just need to nurse alot to get the weight gain 12 times in 24 hours isn't uncommon for a breastfeed baby.
    Did the doctors find anything wrong?
    I think you said something about reflux?
    That can make a baby want to nurse more often as breastmilk makes their reflux feal beter.
    Some other babies with reflux figure out nursing hurts and then they will refuse to nurse.
    Is baby any beter on the meds?
    Sometimes when thier pain is under control they are a diffent baby.

Wow, I would have screamed bloody murder if they'd poured my gold down the drain like that. Especially when I was trying to increase supply. Breastmilk is fine at room temperature for 8-10 hours!! If they were concerned they should have refridgerated it for you!

Oh, and I have breastfed just after pumping due to poor timing, and somehow he always get more out of me even after I thought I'd pumped it out.

As for the pumping to increase supply, it can definitely be done, but it's a lot of work, so hang in there. I think above all you need a more supportive doctor to help you figure out your concerns about your baby's weight gain. It sounds like those nurses were more than just unhelpful!!

Good luck.

And if it helps, there was a time I was able to pump only about 10ml at a time from both sides together. Now I'm able to fill his needs and more (but I took medication - hopefully you don't need that!).

Wow, I am so furious at that nurse!!! I can't imagine how angry I'd be in person, if it happened to me! Complain to her supervisors, complain to the hospital board...send letters to anyone you can think of! Ask your family or friends to write a letter about how shocked they were at your treatment. New moms need all the bf support they can get. You were treated like you were a child... That nurse should not be allowed around people who are already dealing with hormonal changes and newborns. I am so, so sorry that you had to deal with that.

I started off pumping very little, too. What helped me was pumping in the middle of the night at the same time--my body saw it as an extra feeding. And oatmeal, fenugreek, Mother's Milk tea helped. And pumping for 10 minutes after each feeding helped. But I didn't really start making a lot until I went to work and was away from the baby for 7 hours at a time... PM me if you want to chat--I know what it's like to need encouragement!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

You poor thing!! No one should ever talk to you like that!! I'm sorry you had to go through that! I totally agree with PP, the nurse should have NEVER poured your milk down the drain!! Please know that you are an EXCELLENT mom! Look at all you are doing to give your baby the VERY BEST START IN LIFE!! I would definitely complain about the nurse that poured your liquid gold down the drain like that!

As for the pump only extracting a small amount of milk, remember that your baby is much more efficient at getting milk than any pump, even a hospital grade pump! How old is your baby? Hang in there!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate your responses. I was pretty p.o.ed at that nurse and want to say away from medical personnel for a while. The consensus is that I have a somewhat temperamental baby who is really attached to mommy, but I still wonder sometimes if there's something else going on. I'm getting a teeny tiny bit more milk each time I pump, but I highly doubt I'll ever be one of those people who pump 10 oz at a sitting.

Thanks, VAmom, for offering to chat. I might take you up on it one of these days. I'm from Virginia originally.

i pumped in the beginning to increase my supply and this is what we did: a always pumped first thing in the morning because i seemed to have more milk then. if you think the baby is going to eat soon, you can either just pump one side so baby can eat from the other one, or pump both anyway. Baby will get the milk to come out, we are constantly producing it!

Also, I would pump when my son finished nursing. you're right, you won't get a lot in the beginning, but don't be discouraged. trust your body and your baby. you will have to be patient, especially if baby wants to nurse all day and all night, but as the supply goes up, that will taper off.

I use the Lactina also and it's a great pump, probably one of the better ones out there. I know you hate it, but try to use it as a time to semi-relax. put the TV on, read a magazine, anything to keep you from watching the milk output. Also, compressions while pumping has helped me also to increase the amount i got out.

Don't hesitate to ask for more advice and help- i know you'll get through it. It is hard to trust your body, but you will see, it all works out.

Oh my goodness! Let me tell you that i have learned a lot in the passed few weeks about breastfeeding, pumping, etc. I may not know everything but I have had some amazing lactation consultants. First of all, they were sure to tell me at our "breastfeeding and back to work" class that focused on pumping that we shouldn't be surprised if we don't get much when we first start (1-2 oz is considered good at the beginning) and that it takes much practice to get our bodies to adjust to the pump. The pump is not a baby and doesn't exactly work the same way. Another note is that only hospital grade pumps that you can rent will do a good job of increasing your supply. Very seldom will a bought pump do this very efficiently. The best thing to do is get in touch with a good lactation consultant. If you lived in Houston, TX i would have the perfect people to talk to. In fact, you might be able to call the Woodlands Memorial Hermann Hospital, ask for Sherri urban and maybe get some great advice. On the note of bad breast milk!! I would have seriously hurt that nurse. Depending on how long it was out could mean the milk was not good, but our breast milk is very sturdy stuff and can last without being refrigerated for 24 hours. My suggestion is to do your research and know that breastfeeding is definitely possible. I think too many women are told they don't make enough or their milk is not good and that is sooo not true. Your milk can be different colors and a different consistency every time you pump because of what food you make have eaten. Just stay strong and use this site to inform yourself. Too many babies are thrown on formula due to misinformation. Also know, if for some reason it doesn't work, one bottle of breastmilk is still the most important thing your baby can get... even if you can't give her any more. I have received tons of information from Medela that gives good pumping and breastfeeding advice. See if they have some online information too. I hope this helps! Don't give up! I started with inverted nipples and without the great lactation consultants i had i know breastfeeding would have been out the window, but they got me on a nipple shield and now after 3 weeks my LO is latching without it!! Just think positive and don't let them frustrate you!

One more note, keep in mind that babies don't eat the same amount at every feeding... if the baby keeps falling asleep during feeding, you can always use breast compressions to help empty the breast and keep your LO eating.