Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nighttime issues - looking for some support

Default Re: nighttime issues - looking for some support

I have found that my daughter wakes up more often to eat when we co-sleep. Like the smell of me reminds her about food. We both sleep longer and more soundly when she is in her crib.

You could go halfway and put her in a crib in your room.

Thanks everyone. My daughter is 6 wks old. Yes, I've got a great co-sleeping community (my doula, midwife, etc.) and a local LLL group. And also, I am familiar with the adaptive advantages of co-sleeping (e.g. lower SIDS rates, etc.). (Actually I'm an anthropology PhD student so I've been reading about cross-cultural co-sleeping patterns for years and am familiar with McKenna's research.) But sometimes, in the middle of the night when I'm exhausted, the fact that co-sleeping is safer and healthier because it causes a baby to rouse more frequently and spend more time in light REM sleep just doesn't seem so compelling ... [sigh]

Thanks again for all your suggestions. So, last night I bit the bullet and put her in the bassinet beside the bed. I also "waited" until she cried out before I went to her. Well, instead of waking every 2-3 hours, she slept from 9 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. and then again from 2 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. While I'm not yet prepared to say that this correlation was due to the new sleeping arrangement, or even if this reduction in the nighttime feeding will continue, it was great for a night. Allowing her to grunt and squirm for 5 minutes or so after waking also showed me that she is better able to self-soothe than I had thought. When she did cry out, I went to her, offered the breast, and she ate. To my surprised she didn't actually eat that much (relative to other nights) and also went to back to sleep w/o a problem. I'm using this as lazy Sunday to lounge skin-to-skin. She's been nursing frequently and is (of course) in a great mood. Maybe we are beginning to establish more intensive eating period in the daytime??? Thanks again for being supportive of moving the baby out of the bed.

In the first few days after my baby was born, I was a neurotic mess trying to co-sleep with her. Because my husband and I couldn't give up blankets and pillows, I kept waking every 20 minutes in a panic thinking she was suffocating or something, even though we would have everything away from her. Plus the cat likes to sleep between us, and I would worry that kitty would smother her while we slept. How would she be when she started rolling over, crawling or able to scoot up to where the pillows were? I'd be an absolute mess. Baby was getting sleep, however I was not.
    It's a really good thing we have a bassinet, because I put her in there right next to us and just reach and get her to feed when she wakes up. She doesn't sleep as well and I do miss her cute little sleep snuggling, but we both (mostly) get to sleep safely. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a little separation for sanity's sake, but I don't think babies should try and get used to sleeping in another room yet. They need some semblance of closeness and security. That's just my opinion.

Thanks everyone so much for your messages. When I started this thread I was looking for support, not a "solution" (because I didn't really view nighttime feedings as a "problem"). But I actually did try some suggestions, and I just wanted to come back and tell you that my 13 lb. 6-wk-old daughter just slept 7 hours straight last night (6 hours the night before and 5 hours the night before that). I'm a little shocked and while I don't know if it will continue, I'm thankful for at least these three restful nights! In case anyone is interested, this is what I did. We always had a solid bed time routine (7 p.m. lights down, white noise fan on, change diaper, swaddle, feed, rock, etc.) but these last few nights I invested my anxious energy into really paying attention to her sleeping activity and addressed those needs. She was a really noisy sleeper - lots of grunting and squirming and snorting and heavy breathing. So, I've started doing morning baby massage to help with her gas and burping her more often and longer. She is much quieter now. We also deep cleaned our bedroom to remove dust, etc., banished the cats, got a humidifier, and began cleaning out her nose with a syringe bulb in the morning and at bed time. Keeping her passages open really seemed to increase her comfort and prevent her form awakening. In attempt to increase daytime feedings, I also spent the last three days basically letting her "live" on the breast. I set aside most everything else and just kept her on the nipple (or sleeping in close proximity to it on the pillow or in a sling) almost all day. She's been so happy and sleepy all day but man she's really gulped it down! Finally, we did bite the bullet and move her into a bed side bassinet. The strangest thing happened with this: when she awakened at night, sometimes she'd just go right back to sleep ON HER OWN! Just thought I'd share ...

This is my first time BF my children. I FF my DSs, and they slept in a basinet first month and then to a crib afterwards. My LO now is receiving Breat milk only, and wakes up often as well. I AM A walking ZOMBIE, so I totally understand. I have never really cared for co-sleeping, but he seems to sleep a little longer when he is in our bed versus in his crib (that's in the same room). I am also trying to figure this out myself, my LO is 2.5 weeks old.

Our first son, Jack co-slept until May and while he was nursing (until 14 mos) he would wake every 2-3 hours to eat... Our second son, Cooper, seems to be following the same trend. I do blame the co-sleeping BUT. With side-lying nursing, I barely wake when they need/needed to eat and I get more sleep than when I was transitioning Jack into a crib (we did this in May to prepare for the new baby). I think you will get more used to this type of sleep/nursing as time goes on and may stay more in a sleep state as you latch your little. Good luck love! Co-sleeping is great!