Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Antiobiotics for Mastitis that do not have penicillin? Dr says not to bf!!!

Default Antiobiotics for Mastitis that do not have penicillin? Dr says not to bf!!!

Hi, I have another post about a situation I have with my left breast. Long story but I still do not have a prescription I can use so I am waiting out till tomorrow to see if the pain gets better. Are there antibotics out there that are safe while BF and that are not derived from Penicillin?

The OB I may see tomorrow mentioned in passing that if she puts me on antibotics I may not be able to breasfeed!!!!

Default Re: Antiobiotics for Mastitis that do not have penicillin? Dr says not to bf!!!

Typical antibiotics used for mastitis:
    - Dicloxacillin, flucloxacillin, cloxacillin, amoxycillin-clavulinic acid
    - Cephalexin, erythromycin, clindamycin, ciprofloxacin, nafcillin
    Plugged Ducts and Mastitis

I have no idea which antibiotics have penicillin. Your OB is WRONG that you cannot breastfeed while taking antibiotics. G-d I am so sick of ill-informed health care providers not knowing what the heck they are talking about.
    I've had mastitis a few times in my bfing "career" and have never been advised to stop breastfeeding, quite the opposite. In fact, it is key to continue emptying the infected breast as much as possible to clear up the infection. IMO any doctor who tell a mother suffering from mastitis to stop breastfeeding needs some serious correction.
    I can't remember all the antibiotics I've taken. I know I've taken cephalexin and zithromax (azithromycin) before.
    HTH!!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: Antiobiotics for Mastitis that do not have penicillin? Dr says not to bf!!!

If things dont get better I am going in tomorrow and will bring the list of antibotics that is on kellymom. I remember taking Zithromax while bf my son and didnt have any problems, I just dont know if that works for Mastitis...

How did it go? I hope you got it worked out and that you are feeling better.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I took Keflex when I had it.

Hi, I ended up not needing the antibiotics, it looks like it was a plugged duct, a nasty one but it is resolved now!

Good news!!

Molly