Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does my baby weigh enough?

Default Does my baby weigh enough?

At my daughter's 15 month well-baby visit the Dr. suggested that at 19.5 lbs. we should see a nutritionist because she isn't gaining enough weight. My husband and I are both slender people and as children we were both skinny-minnies. I am thinking this must play a role in my daughter's physique. She actually looks great, she is 30 inches tall and slender, but she does have a little chub in the places where babies should. I am baffled by this Dr.'s complete reliance on the percentile chart. My daughter has no health issues, she is strong, happy, bright and continuing to gain height, head circumference, and a little weight at each visit. I am disappointed that none of these positives were taken into account. The Dr. also belittled my continued breastfeeding and said after the first year breastmilk doesn't give babies the fat or nutrients they need. My baby does eat a smattering of solids throughout the day, and she drinks a little bit of whole milk but not so much that I would be comfortable with her over all intake if she wasn't still nursing.
    I don't plan to go back to this Dr. and my intuition tells me my happy healthy little girl is gaining weight at the rate that is perfect for her. I would love some reassurance from others who have had similar experiences (or advice from anyone who thinks I'm on the wrong track and I should be concerned). I would also like info on how complete a food breastmilk is after the first year. I appreciate all comments. I'm out here on my own without a community of breastfeeding friends so I don't have anybody to bounce off even the little twinges of doubt. Thanks!
    Last edited by StaceandGrace; May 9th, 2006 at 12:02 PM.

Default Re: Does my baby weigh enough?

Hi StaceandGrace,
    Did you happen to see this recent annoucement?
    Publication of New Child Growth Standards
    La Leche League International Commends the World Health Organization on Publication of New Child Growth Standards
    La Leche League International (LLLI) welcomes the establishment of new Child Growth Standards based on the breastfed infant as the normative model of how children should grow and develop.

Here's a link to the WHO site with the charts themselves.

Media Centre
    Launch of the WHO Child Growth Standards

Scroll down and you'll see these charts:
    Weight-for-age
    Girls | Boys
    Length/height-for-age
    Girls | Boys
    BMI-for-age
    Girls | Boys

Maybe check them out and see where your dd is on a different chart. I would have checked it out for you but I think I need to download a different version of Adobe first. :-) It wasn't working for me. Let us know if it works for you and what you find out.

Oh no-not anouther dr who thinks breastmilk has an experantion date! Run fast to a new dr. Drs who believe breast milk suddenly isn't good after 1 year and who rely 100% on the charts are drs you need to stay away from-they will go to unbelievable lengths and put kids through tons of uneeded tests (only needed if a child is looking and acting failure to thrive). I've had bad experiances with drs like this. very bad.
    Get a new, bfing friendly dr. s Your dd sounds fine!
    -Lisa

I went to the website and the tables are kg and cm, does somebody have them in lb and in ?

I went to the website and the tables are kg and cm, does somebody have them in lb and in ?
    I bookmarked the following link, it's really helpful http://convert.french-property.co.uk/cgi-bin/convert.pl

That's a good question!
    I looked this up, maybe it will help it the meantime? Everyone up for a little math?
    1 inch = 2.54 cm (so 30 inches would be 76.2 cm)
    1 pound = .45359 kg (so 19.5 lbs would be 8.845 kg)

Anyone is free to check my math here! I'm married to a math/science guy but other than being a Leader my background is in art, LOL! :-)

Mary

Thanks, LadyGodiva!

Mary

Thanks for the conversions I look in the new tables and her baby seem to be a little below average, not a big difference or something to worry about, I've seen kids smaller than her and it a perfect health condition, it's more about genetics. Anyway, she should print the new tables, bring them to the ped and change doctors . I still don't understand what's the deal with peds and BF babies, I guess is because is less business for them (less sick babies). When I finally found a good ped, pro BF, I had to move .

My dd just had her 15 month well-visit a week ago. She weighed in at 16 pounds 6 oz. and her length and head circum. between 25th and 50th percentile (I don;t recall the values). She is about 80+ percent breastfed and only nibbles on solids during the day. She refuses cows' milk but will sip on soy milk.
    My dd's pediatrician was happy with her weight, even though she is making her own weight curve. About 3-6 months ago, she expressed concern, because dd's weight gain had leveled off relative to the official curve, but since she has gained proportionally since then, the pediatrician is happy. She agrees with me that bf is still a good idea in order to assure that dd will get most of her nutrients. (We would have a really hard time otherwise, because she also spits out all multi-vitamins.)

So, it sounds like your daughter and my daughter are similar. I think you ought to look for a pediatrician who is a little bit more flexible with the growth curves and will assess your child's health objectively and not according to some "universal" standard that is obviously not universal!
    (I don't ever hear of any pediatricians suggesting that parents who's baby is too heavy relative to the curve starve their babies - what's up with that? )

I have to agree with the other posters who recommended that the only problem here seems to be with your Pediatrician. I too had a slow-weight gain daughter, who I believe did not reach 20 pounds until she was 16 months old(I remember because I would't turn her car-seat around).
    I believe LLL has a Medical Associates program, where Doctors who are supportive of breastfeeding sign up to be on a list. Maybe one of the Moderators could find out for you.
    I know it can be hard to change, but if it is at all possible, try!!