Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden drop

Default Sudden drop

After Many months since the last problem with supply, I have suddenly had quite a BIG drop in supply. DD is 18 months old. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas on what to do to boost it back up?

Default Re: Sudden drop

Hi! I'm so sorry you're having trouble! You've no doubt read the tips in "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding", very good advice!

It may sound strange, but an old dairy farmer suggested Alfalfa supplements to me, and what do you know, I had more milk! I wouldn't say a LOT more, but noticibly more. They feed alfalfa to dairy cows for the same reason. Alfalfa has a deep root system, deeper than typical grasses, so it gets more nutrients and trace minerals from the soil. Worth a try! Good luck!

I used Fenugreek when my supply dropped and it was helpful. I know other mothers have also used Blessed Thistle.

I have never heard of using alfalfa supplements, where in the world did you buy that? I have used Fenugreek before and it seemed to help. Think I will do both and see what happens. I think this may be due to PMS. I will also set an alarm to go off every 3 hours so that I can pump!

Does anyone know how long it will be before I start to see the results of the herbs? My milk is VERY low, I am starting to get worried!

Hi Hbsmomma,
    Supply issues can be very worrying! And you've been through them before -- I'm sure that's frustrating for you. Can you tell me a bit more about your situation? How often are you nursing? What's a typical day like for you and dd, i.e. nursing, other foods or drinks? How about nighttimes? Illnesses? Medications? Other changes? Pregnant?
    Herbs/supplements/foods can help with supply, but they can't always do it alone if there's something else going on.
    How do you know your supply is low? How does dd seem to be handling it?
    Mary
    Last edited by @llli*LLLMaryP; May 10th, 2006 at 12:28 PM.

I used alfalfa, blessed thistle and fenugreek. I saw results like 2-3 days later. I bought them online, although I don't remember where, since it was over 3 years ago. I'll try to remember.

She is nursing (including 3 pumps a day), 8 times a day or so. Ususally we will wake up in the morning and she will nurse right away, she does it 3 meals a day. As for nights she nurses to sleep but has pretty much given up her night time nurses. Ever since the supply has dropped I have set an alarm to wake us both up to nurse. Other changes...my period should be do soon, and I'd better NOT BE PREGNANT . My nips are really sore, but I think that is the upcoming period. More changes she did not nurse that well this weekend do to a charity walk we were at in San Francisco. But she didn't skip TOO many nursings. Its strange because last week I was pumping 8oz a day for her, now I'm lucky if I get 4. I know that the pump is not a good indicator of my supply, but gosh that is a really big dip! She is a little fussy at the boob and keeps switching back and forth between the two, she is usually a one boobie kind of girl. But she still asks for it and gets really excited when she gets it. And I know this probably has nothing to do with it, but,(and heres the too much info part), I think I may be getting a yeast infection wich usually happens right before I start my period. So theres the story, thanks for your help.

Hi again,

I'm so sorry to take so long to get back to you!

Could there be an issue with your pump? Does it seem to be working the same?

Some mothers do find that around the time of their period they notice a temporary drop in supply.

You are nursing or pumping several times/day, you've added in a nighttime nursing session... all that sounds great.

Are you taking/eating anything such as peppermints, peppermint tea, sage or parsley (tabbouleh, for example)?

Delayed or inhibited let-down is when the milk is there but it's not being released. Sometimes stress, tension, excessive caffiene or alcohol consumption or medications can contribute to this. Relaxation exercises, warm compresses before nursing (or pumping), breast massage, and a calm, undistracted setting may help encourage the let-down to occur. Focusing on the baby, stroking his/her hair, enjoying the closeness, even lying down to nurse, may help a mother relax and help the let-down occur more quickly.

What do you think?

I hope this helps! Please keep us posted!

Mary