Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: toddler nursing with chipped tooth

Question toddler nursing with chipped tooth

Hi, my daughter is 20 months old and still nursing like a newborn! Recently though I have started getting soreness and obvious chafing on my areola - this is a new thing as I've never had any pain before. The skin has become dry and recently cracked. I think it is probably being caused by her chipped tooth and her stretching my nipple to cope with a strong let down and also to view everything around her. I have started pulling her body in closer to mine to help positioning but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem??? And if so, any advice?

Default Re: toddler nursing with chipped tooth

could you be pg? I had problems with sore nipples with I got pg with my 4th.
    you can put lanolin on the sore parts and that should help it heal!

Hi jo73,
    Congratulations on what sounds like a great nursing relationship.
    Did your dd chip her tooth in a tumble? Ouch!
    Any chance it could it be thrush? Perhaps check out this link...
    Is thrush causing my sore nipples?
    Or if it's due to her chipped tooth, have you considered asking a dentist about it?

Mary

My ds had a chipped tooth and it gave me a sore only on the right side because of how he was positioned. I took him to the dentist and the dentist filed it down a little (took less than a minute) and all is well now.
    Jennifer
    Wife to my Marine
    Crunchy mom to my wonderful boys
    Michael 6/02 c-sec
    Willem 1/05 c-sec
    Gavin 6/07 amazing water homebirth VBAC

Smile Re: toddler nursing with chipped tooth

Thanks for your replies and suggestions! My daughter chipped her tooth chewing on a hair clip - something I am now keeping well out of her way. Unless it is an immaculate conception I am not pregnant (thankfully in my case), and I have checked her mouth for signs of thrush (none evident). I have now contacted my dentist who has suggested if it continues to be an issue I take her in for a file (ouch makes me cringe at the thought, but then again this situation can't continue). We have such a lovely nursing relationship and I hope it lasts for as long as she needs it, so hoping this will resolve soon. Positioning fine tuning seems to be making a difference so far so fingers crossed.

Does not hurt at all to file the tooth, takes seconds and you will both be more comfortable. The other concern is that when a tooth chips bacteria may be able to enter and cause decay. Best to let the dentist take a look.

Lanolin lanolin lanolin.

I don't know if this is common or not, but on the topic of thrush, we just went through a serious bout of it earlier this year. I never did see any "signs" of it in my son's mouth, but I *definitely* had signs on my nipples. My sister recommended putting plain yogurt on my nipples in between bf sessions - which was cool and soothing and worked wonderfully. Kinda sticky, tho.