Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wants bottle instead

Default Wants bottle instead

My 4 month old, who is a slow gainer, now prefers the bottle the dr. told me to supplement with. He will only nurse a couple ounces now total from both sides. I'm afraid if I don't supplement though, he won't get enough. Any ideas?

Default Re: Wants bottle instead

You might want to get a supplemental nursing system (SNS). A SNS is a bag of milk or formula that hangs around your neck. A tube comes out of it. You position the tube alongside your nipple, and when your baby latches onto the breast, he gets the tube, too. By using a SNS, you might be able to ditch the bottles, and your baby may get used to the idea that all his nutrition comes from the breast, and start feeding more enthusiastically.

Also, you might want to start pumping. The more milk you remove from your breasts, the more you will make. That way, if you need to supplement, you can do so with breastmilk and your milk supply won't diminish. When I was trying to increase my milk supply, I pumped for 10 minutes per side after every feeding, even when nothing was coming out.

HTH!

Have you tried going to bed with baby and just nursing and not really offereing a bottle and seeing what would happen? Sometimes you can get baby to start nursing better again if they have a peaceful place to nurse...little distractions and all that.

I would start pumping. I use the PIS and pretty well exclusively pump. After pumping for about 15 - 20 minutes every 3 - 4 hours, I was getting plenty of milk. So, try pumping after breastfeeding and then if you have to "supplement" you can at least supplement breastmilk.

Milk Supply Issues

Weaning From Formula Supplements

These might give you some good ideas. Trust your body and your baby!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I went through the SAME thing with Abby. Very happy to say that I got her away from the bottle monster and she is exclusively breastfed now. So I can tell you that it IS possible to turn things around. I used a SNS for a week, and pumped to rebuild my supply. Abby's problem was that she got too used to the fast-er flow of the bottle and was lazy at the breast. She had a very weak suck. I was determined enough. I started to REFUSE the bottle. Regardless of how much she cried I would NOT give her one. I'd use the SNS and pretty much FORCED her to breastfeed. Sounds kind of harsh but it wasnt, believe me. I pumped after every feeding for the extra stimulation and once my supply came back and little Abby strengthened her suck everything suddenly became WONDERFUL!

hang in there mama!

Just curious how often baby is nursing. I found with my dd that she wouldn't fuss until she was overly hungry, and was not wanting to wait for letdown. I decided to offter the breast every 2hrs (she was 4 1/2mos at the time and is still nursing every 2-3hrs and is 6 mos now) and she was happy to take the breast, and didn't get as upset waiting for letdown. Was there an issue with the milk production that the Dr. was concerned about. Like the pp said, the more you stimulate the breast the more it will produce. I also snuck in some feedings when dd was half asleep and she nursed well then!

Not sure if you have to time nurse this often, but it worked really well for us. Good luck!