Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lunging Baby

Default Lunging Baby

Hello there, I have a 1 month old boy (first child) who I am exclusively breast feeding. I have been very lucky as he has been a great feeder and is very strong. The down side is he generates quite a bit of suction and I feel like my nipples are going to fall off!! I have been working on latching, but am somewhat clumsy at it. When I try to position him (in the football hold or cradle hold) I have one hand on my breast, and the other supporting him. My problem is that when he gets in position he knows it is time to eat and will lunge at the breast and latch on on his own (and not neccessarily properly). I feel like I need an extra hand. I will try to unlatch him and try again, but generally he still lunges and latches before I have a chance to postition him. After a few times of unlatching him I get more sore than if I just left him be, and usually I let him go.

Also, I have been experiencing sharp pains that run from my nipple to my armpit. I have no inflamation or fever, no lumps, and my milk supply is great. Any ideas on what this could be and how it could help. I do have some mild cracking in my nipples, and they are slightly pinkish, but don't look infected.

Sorry for all these questions! I just want to make this as comfortable for me as possilbe.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Lunging Baby

The sharp pains and pinkish nipples make me think thrush.

Here a link to Dr. Jack Newman info on thrush:
    http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml (scroll way down to yeast/thrush)

Do you wear disposible breast pads a lot? I wore them 24/7 in the early weeks and know that is why I developed thrush. It's fairly easy to get rid of for most women but you and the baby will need to be treated.

I don't have any advice on the lunging baby- other that to keep doing what you're doing, trying to get him positioned correctly. Is there a chance you could try to feed him a little sooner so maybe he isn't quite so hungry and anxious?

Good lucK!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

agree with shortening times between feedings.

c/b a blocked duct. try a warm compress under your armpit/breast.
    lunging...hungry baby. shorten feeding times

If no signs of thrush, it could also be a letdown. I don't know about "shooting" but the only time I feel a letdown is when I feel a pain coming from my armpit. You should probably still get checked out just in case though. That is cute that your baby is so eager for his "nippy" it is a double edged sword, yes it makes you sore, but so many women have babies that aren't interested or that won't latch, so consider it a silver lining! Good luck!

First, let me say that I'm sorry to hear about the pains you're having. The other posters have made some good suggestions regarding that.

I hope this doesn't offend you because I'm not saying it to offend. But I was really tickled when reading about the "Lunging Baby". My LO is 7 months and he does the same thing to me! He has "latched on" to my stomach, other parts of my boob, etc. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a hicky or something from him yet.

He just really goes for it and there's not a lot I can do about it until I finally get my bra down and ready for him. I've tried to not laying him down until it's ready, but he will throw himself down and go for whatever he can. And he's not starving either; my husband thinks he just likes boobies whenever he can get them. Even if he only eats for like 2-5 minutes, he does this at almost every feeding.

He's getting to where he grabs my whole boob himself and tries to position it I think he may just master that soon. He's such a funny baby

My little one is twelve weeks now (EEK!) and he is a lunger too. He has me in hysterics because even if he's fed fifteen minutes before, as soon as he get a whif of the nipple he gets a crazed, manic look and dives on me. Junkie baby...
    Karli, Besotted mother of Ashley,8lb 9oz - 9th May 2007 and Fae 8lb 11oz 17th Feb 2010, both born at home, naturally.

Nappy-free @ 18 months EC'ing rocks!
    Just leave it alone.

Hi,

Congrats on your LO and welcome to the boards. I agree with the pp about it possibly being your letdown. I don't feel my let down most of the time, but for a while when my LO was new to the world I did, and it was painful. Others have described it as a 'tingle', no I felt sharp, tingling, PAIN. Do you have your 6 week post-partum visit coming up soon? I would surely ask then it if is still happening. If you don't have any burning then it may not be thrush, then again, I'm no doctor/mid-wife

My son is an 'eager-beaver' nurser too, he still lunges at the breast with his mouth wide open to latch on as fast as he can and he's one! I barely get my flap undone and he's going for it. One benefit for this kind of nurser is that there's no question as to whether or not they're hungry

In the early days it was hard, he'd go for it, not quite latch properly, etc. I also have a large bust and just couldn't do the cradle hold, so I had to do the football and that was hard to get him latched properly. He would also throw a fit if he wasn't latched on ASAP and get his tiny fists in the way. It does get easier as the baby gets more strength and coordination. I would just do as you are and break the suction with your finger and re-latch him. It helped me too to drag my nipple down over his nose, then over his lips to get him to open really wide to latch on.

I hope this doesn't offend you because I'm not saying it to offend. But I was really tickled when reading about the "Lunging Baby". My LO is 7 months and he does the same thing to me! He has "latched on" to my stomach, other parts of my boob, etc. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a hicky or something from him yet.

He just really goes for it and there's not a lot I can do about it until I finally get my bra down and ready for him. I've tried to not laying him down until it's ready, but he will throw himself down and go for whatever he can. And he's not starving either; my husband thinks he just likes boobies whenever he can get them. Even if he only eats for like 2-5 minutes, he does this at almost every feeding.
    Oh, so true!

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Pain after a period of pain-free nursing is usually thrush, even if you don't have obvious symptoms. For me it was a combination of things. I've had nipple pain from thrush, from deep clogged ducts, from my milk not letting down before my pump cycled to hard pull, from lo chewing on me, from lo pulling off without unlatching first, from lo latching by munching up the aerola, from irritation from saliva when lo's teething. If you've ever had him latched right it's not likely that it's a latch problem at this point.