Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mixing forumla & breastmilk?

Default Mixing forumla & breastmilk?

For those of you that work full time and pump milk for bottles, what do you do if you do not pump enough? I am running in to this problem now with my daughter - 6 mos. old. Do you combine formula with breastmilk for her bottles? What kind of formula? Or give more solids? I have a good bit of milk in the freezer but know it will run out before too long...

Default Re: Mixing forumla & breastmilk?

If you need to supplement with formula, don't put them in the same bottle. Feed your expressed milk first, then give formula. This prevents wasting your milk if baby doesn't finish a bottle.

You'll need to ask you doctor about which formula to feed your baby - they may not have any suggestions, but some infants have a special situation that requires a certain type of formula. There are new ones coming out all the time - cow's milk, soy, organics, powdered, ready-to-feed, etc.

Since you baby is only 6mos old, she may not react well to adding a whole bunch of solids to her diet, it could overwhelm her system. Maybe by increasing her solids intake slightly, you could reduce the use of formula.

For now, keep using the milk in your freezer.

Is it possible to add in another pumping session on the weekends or overnight? Maybe pump one side while baby nurses on the other? Or get a rental pump to use for a month or so, just to boost your supply, then go back to your old pump? Increasing the amount you pump would be better for baby than using formula.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I'm having the same issue. My DD is about 14wks old. The last week or so she started eating 1-2 oz more a day than I can pump. I pump every 3 hours at work and BF frequently at night (every 2-3 hours). I tried pumping extra after she was done eating but there really isn't much left. I too was thinking about adding a little formula if I ran out of breastmilk. My DD has BAD gas and abdominal cramping when I eat dairy products like yogurt, ice cream, and milk (limited cheese seems to be fine). I heard soy formulas taste bad. Are there any formulas that taste more like breastmilk for babies with cow milk problems, and will renting a hospital grade pump really increase your milk supply. I currently use the Pump in style. I feel like I nurse frequently enough at night and on weekends that I should be able to keep up with her but her bottles allow her to guzzle down a ton of milk. She drank 7oz at one sitting one day. A slower nipple does not allow her to get enough.

While I certainly haven't tried *all* the formulas on the market, I have tried a few, and smelled more of them. None seem to smell/taste anything like breastmilk.

7oz in one sitting is ALOT of milk. A lot!! Why do you say that a slow nipple doesn't allow her to get enough? Maybe it's in the way she's being held, not in the bottle nipple itself. If she's getting frustrated by the slow flow, it may take her a while to become accustomed to it, since she's already experienced the faster-flow bottle nipples.

A hospital-grade rental usually helps to get more milk out - they are more efficient, more comfortable, more powerful. Using one for few weeks could help your supply.

You could also try pumping one side while baby nurses on the other side, to take advantage of the letdowns you get while baby nurses. There will still be enough milk for baby when you do this.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!