Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about BF and cosleeping

Default question about BF and cosleeping

This may sound stupid but I was just wondering in case I have another baby and I decide to cosleep: How do you ladies alternate between breasts at night? I am assuming you are BF in the lying down position so you BF from your right breast lying down and then to switch to the left breast what do you do? If you switch the baby to your left side then s/he would be between you and your husband which cannot be safe I assume. Then what to do Also if you are using a cosleeper what do you do then? I just couldn't figure out the logistics you know

Default Re: question about BF and cosleeping

I think I would just move to the other end of the bed....sleep oppiste of hubby.... I have co-sleep, but hubby wasn't in the bed....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Just as pp mentioned I have dd where she is in the middle so when on my left breast i'm opposite of dh. hth
    Jenn SAHM and carseat to

DD 5 years old , nursed till just shy of 3 yrs old

I co-sleep, but don't nurse lying down...I can't seem to really get the hang of that. Have done it a couple times at nap time. Maybe when he's a little older? I've heard you can just shift your body to bring the top breast lower.

How do you handle burbing is my question! That's why I think maybe it's better for older babies?
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Unfortunately for my baby's father - had to kick him out the bed. We got a small FULL size bed so we all can't fit in the bed (well we can but daddy might accidentally crush the baby). So for now and until DS is sleeping longer through the night daddy sleeps on the couch. And to answer your question, I do the moving of myself at night where DS sleeps in the center of the bed then I move over him when necessary.

HOW DO YOU FEED LYING DOWN?!!

I've tried, I'd love to co-sleep. I've read all about how to do it, saw pictures, but it doesn't work for me. He gets upset and can't latch on (he's 7 weeks old). Also, how do you burp/alternate breasts?

Any tips for a good sling?

Thanks!!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

Anyone using a cosleeper? How do you do it then?

I used a co-sleeper its the greatest thing.
    I would nurse the baby and then put them in after they were done

sometimes I would just sleep with the baby in the bed.
    If I stayed awake I would put them in the sleeper.

I would sort of block feed at night...
    I would start with the laying on my left side and then if the baby fussed to wake me up I would use the other side.
    It does get easier as they get older

There are two main ways to do it if you want to nurse lying down. You can either just hold the baby to your chest and roll over to the other side, or (like pp said) adjust your body so your upper breast is lower. This is obviously easier or more difficult depending on the size of your breast.

I never liked nursing while lying down so we just sit up in bed to nurse. Luckily my son is done in 5 minutes and I drift off while I'm sitting there.

Having your baby between you and your husband is not unsafe if your husband is not too heavy of a sleeper and is supportive of co-sleeping. The age of the baby is also important. For a newborn, being between mom and a bed rail would work well, but as they get older I think it's actually safer for them to be between mom and dad. For us, we used a "close and secure sleeper" for the first few months. (search target.com to see what this is) Then, once henry was strong enough to move and roll he just slept in between us- and still does.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I love co-sleeping...And dd loves to snuggle. I just dreaded waking up in the middle of the night to sit up in bed or in a rocker...I couldn't get back to sleep after that.

Here's how I do it:
    1) Mom & baby lie on their sides facing each other.
    2) Mom pulls baby in so mouth is level with nipple closest to mattress. (Baby can latch on if mom is wearing a nursing top or gown.)
    3) Mom wraps bottom-most arm around baby's head & back. Baby usually throws her legs on top of mine!

We've been sleeping like that since even before dd got head control. Sometimes she stays latched on for long stretches--sometimes she pops off.

When I feel her stir--like she's not getting much flow--I sit up, cradle her head and butt in my hands, then lift her to my other side. The arm that encircles her makes sure she doesn't roll off the bed--and dh has never rolled onto her. The only thing that worried me was sheets--but we make sure they're not near her face. Seriously, she can sleep for 8-11 hours in this position!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!