Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bottle feeding + exclusive bf'ing

Default bottle feeding + exclusive bf'ing

THose that use breastmilk only and give ocassional bottles with pumped bm... How many ounces do you usually give your baby in the bottle? I looked at the site on kellymom which calculates how much to give them depending on how many times she eats a day but every day is different. I am trying to get my 9 week used to eating bottles during the day since she will be going to daycare in a few weeks. She is up to now taking 3-4 bottles a day but some days she does not want them at all. ALso sometimes she'll drink 2 1/2 ounces and sometimes only 1 ounce. I hate to make a bottle with the full 2 1/2 ounces and waste it if she'll only eat half of it. What do most of you do with this type of situation since you never know how much they are going to take? Also at 9 weeks old how many ounces should she be taking? MIL said she should drink at least four since most formula fed babies eat that much but when she eats a full 2 1/2 ounces she is good for two hours before she gets hungry again (during the day).

Default Re: bottle feeding + exclusive bf'ing

I've been doing the same thing as you have -- giving my dd bottles of bm to prepare her for when I go back to work. My dd is 10 weeks old and takes about 2.5-3 oz. in a bottle. Every once in awhile she will take more than 3 oz. so lately I've just been making 3.5 oz. per bottle just in case she's really hungry.

Default Re: bottle feeding + exclusive bf'ing

Babies eat more formula than BM. So, just because "if" your lo was eating formula she would take 4 ounces does NOT mean this is how much BM is needed. My DD is 8.5 months and still only takes 5 ounces per feeding of EBM. in the begining she would usually eat 2-3 ounces, then she moved to 4 ounces, and now is at 5. However, she does not eat as frequently as she used to.

I understand the part on not wanting to waste it, though! Most recommend that you can offer the same bottle again within an hour. Others say that the hour guideline is for formula and that BM lasts longer than an hour. check out this site: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/r...essedmilk.html

Hope this helps!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)