Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby "growls" or snores with eyes open, especially after feeding?

Default baby "growls" or snores with eyes open, especially after feeding?

okay, i've noticed for the past few weeks that my 3 week old (almost 4 weeks monday!) kind of makes a "growling" noise off and on when he's resting. it sounds almost like he's snoring, but his eyes are often open, unless he's sleeping with his eyes open? it seems to be most noticeable after a feeding. has anyone else had this happen? is this normal? it almost sounds like he has mucus in his throat that needs to be coughed up (like happens to some people when they drink fatty milk). it doesn't seem to be getting any worse.... any thoughts, comments, similar experiences? thanks!

Default Re: baby "growls" or snores with eyes open, especially after feeding?

i forgot mine used to do that too until you mentioned it. i d it, it was pretty cute. i remember asking my ped about it and she said it was normal.

how old was your baby before they stopped doing it? it seems mine has done it since about week 1!

you know i cant remember exactly when he stopped doing that, i think he did it for a month or two. he likes to growl at things now though. long before he make any kind of baba or dada sounds he was growling at things lol.

did the growling also kind of sound like snoring?

yes it did. and i noticed the same mucus-y sound when he was that age.

My 7 week old does that. He does it especially bad at night. I put a drop of saline in each of his nostrils to try to get him to sneeze or cough and when this works, it goes away. I also read that you can lay them on their bellies (I lay mine on my chest) and this seems to clear it up as well. It is normal, though, so nothing to worry about.

are there special types of saline drops/sprays recommended for newborns?

i tried the "little noses" and that seemed to work fine for babies.
    you may want to ask the ped. though

I would just squeeze a little bm up there. Cheaper.