Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I know my milk has come in and what color should it be?

Default How do I know my milk has come in and what color should it be?

My baby was born on Sat 7/21, and I am a bit confused at to if my milk has come in or not. I have flat nipples and my LC has me on nipple shields for the time being. My breasts do feel slightly engorged, but not overly so, and my milk is a white sort of opaque color, and it doesnt spray out. Does this mean my milk is not quite in yet?

Default Re: How do I know my milk has come in and what color should it be?

Sounds as if your milk came in. Some people don't spray.

Congratulations ! I didn't know my milk came in until my LO spit up as the nurse was helping us into the car leaving the hospital. I was freaked out, and she thought it was funny

In the next few days I was real achy and had a slight fever, which my dr said was due to engorgement. Hope you feel good.

Good luck.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I had a similiar eperience- I didn't know if my milk came in until I took a shower and when I went to bend over to dry off I realized I was dripping and it wasn't water.

I am glad you had no pain! I hear it can be awful!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

I don't spray unless I'm pumping, so some people just don't. I could tell my milk came in because I started seeing my baby gulp while nursing. I never actually saw any milk in the beginning. And I never really got engorged, either, so I guess you and I are just lucky that way!

Congrats on your new baby!!! And congrats on breastfeeding, too!!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks everyone. I guess I was just freaking out a bit b/c I was waiting for it to spray, but LO seems content, so I am happy about that.

it sounds to me like it has come in. i gave birth on 7/21 as well and mine came in a couple of days ago. i was expecting to be completely engorged and leaking but i have just been a little sore and my milk is also a white opaque color. it only sprays when i am pumping as far as i can tell.

It took a couple of days for mine to come in.. and when it did.. i didn't know.. but my DH did... we were at the store and he had to point out my shirt with the wet spots...

Yes your milk def has come in, before your milk comes in you have the colostrum which is a yellowish colour, then once the milk is in it's white.

Well done - good luck with the breastfeeding.