Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is baby rice really good......

Default Is baby rice really good......

Is baby rice really good and an healthy option. It looks very white and refined. I hear of some babies being constipated on it. I eat brown wholegrain rice and thats healthier than white rice. Is there a reason for it being so refined? Whats the other alternative? What are your opinions? B.

Default Re: Is baby rice really good......

My opinion is as follows: () No need for rice cereal - or any 'baby' cereals/foods for that matter. It may even lead to Type I Diabetes. We "delayed" solids and went with whole foods - basically BLS (Baby led Solids approach) nothing processed for these babes.

Now, thats JMO and thats what works for us. I know others feel somewhat differently and thats fine since it's what works for them.

Here are some more links if you're interested:
    LLL page: Complimentary Foods
    LLL page: Cultural Aspects of Starting Solids
    Theres no evidence it helps them sleep better - see here and here

Okay I'll quit for now
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I 2nd everything the PP said with out any links. Even if Baby led solids isn't for you, you may want to consider skipping rice cereal altogether. It's not on the LLL list of 1st foods as it is very processed and has no real nutritional value except for the iron they add to it and even that is NOT very absorbable. (Things that are added never are) If you are looking for 1st foods that have good absorbable iron in them May I suggest watermelon, and spinach to start.

Way too lazy for formula

Ah yes - the iron factor. How'd I forget! I'm glad you mentioend that - here's a link for that

Iron Supplemention
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I 2nd everything the PP said with out any links. Even if Baby led solids isn't for you, you may want to consider skipping rice cereal altogether. It's not on the LLL list of 1st foods as it is very processed and has no real nutritional value except for the iron they add to it and even that is NOT very absorbable. (Things that are added never are) If you are looking for 1st foods that have good absorbable iron in them May I suggest watermelon, and spinach to start.
    We are doing BLS and watermelon and spinach were some of dd's first foods. She loves them both, and they both rank VERY high on the list of the healthiest foods in the world.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

If you do decide you want to give rice cereal, I had a friend who made her own by blending cooked brown rice with her breast milk. But, like the ppers said, it's not necessary.

My lo eats cooked brown rice and loves it. When she was smaller we'd put it in those mesh feeders and she'd suck on it for ages.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous