Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too much sleep and oversupply

Default Re: too much sleep and oversupplyhttp://forums.llli.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=24

Yes, even my colostrum seemed slightly excessive. Even when I was 7 mos. pregnant and on, I would wake up in a pool of colostrum. My milk came in 2 days postpartum and leaked almost constantly in the beginning. I started block feeding about 4 days ago, and it does seem to help with engorgement and slightly with letdown drip amount. For instance, I just finished the block on the left breast, and it feels soft and comfortable, although My letdowns come every hour or so (maybe a bit more) and are very painful, even on a breast that just finished being drained. They still drip a lot, almost to the point of pouring. Will OALD go away as the supply diminishes?

Yes.

I imagine you mean 10 - 12 per day?! Hopefully - LOL.

Yes, of course I meant per day. Per hour would be, well, a whole lot. Sorry about that!

For as much as I read about diaper output, I thought that since she is having about 10 wet diapers a day that she is taking in a sufficient amount of milk. I suppose I will just follow her lead then and not worry so much about a schedule right now. Maybe she is having a growth spurt, or maybe she just needs more. I would rather give her the milk than deprive her, but I thought that snacking was bad for babies (and moms since we would rarely be more than a feeding station).

Newborns need to feed often. They grow so fast at this age.

It's still a little early yet to be concerned about snacking. As your milk production levels even out and you and your baby learn more about each other, snacking will not likely be an issue. Your baby will eventually begin to settle into a more regular eating pattern.

I thought initially that it might be excessive letdown, but she does this when I am not letting down too. Maybe the milk comes out too fast at other times too? She takes an awful lot of breaks sometimes, and has a very weak suck oftentimes after the initial 5 minutes or so. It makes me wonder if she is really hungry, or just needs "comfort sucking". I wanted to not give her a pacifier, but we tried the other day. Fortunately, she doesn't like them at all.

Her diaper count sounds good. This feeding pattern may be working for her right now. Perhaps the flow is so steady that she doesn't have to suck vigorously to keep it going? What do you think?

It might be important to note that we are now feeding in a side lying position exclusively.

How is that working out for you? Is this the position you prefer or the position your baby prefers?

Is it okay for newborns to be awake for 5 hours?? She seems really tired at some points during the times she is awake for long stretches, and I wonder if there is something we're not doing right to let her sleep. After I made my post yesterday, we took her for a drive in the car to see if she would sleep, and she did a little bit, but would wake up and scream whenever the car slowed or stopped.

Does she have periods of restful sleep? During the rest of the day, she has longer cycles of sleep?

If she seems tired, you could try all the usual tactics: nursing, rocking, patting, swaying, shushing, swaddling, ect.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Get...leep&id=107116
    Maybe it's not all that credible of a source...but my mind attached to it and then fear spread...*sigh*

I have never heard that information or the author. The information seems to impose a lot of rules on how babies should behave. Babies are individuals, too, and not every person could possibly fit into a mold as neat as what the author prescribes.

Thanks for the URLs...I have read pretty much everything there is to read about OS and OALD on here and kellymom - I suppose the fm/hm balance will even out too with the block feeding?

With time, yes!

It's a constant struggle for me to not give up, but I feel like I would be failing. It is hard to find breastfeeding support in this society since so many women formula feed these days.

You're not alone in your feelings.

The thing that most concerns me right now is that she isn't getting enough sleep because of my OS (not getting enough hindmilk could cause her to be awake from all the lactose).

Too much lactose wouldn't cause baby to have long periods of quiet alertness. If she was screaming, crying, gassy, and out and out miserable, maybe the wakefulness could be attributed to that. Since she is mostly just alert, it seems possible that this could be her natural state.

For the sake of curiousity, are you taking any medications (prescription, herbal, or otherwise)? Drinking caffiene?

I also worry that the OS won't correct itself soon, and she and I will be forced to deal with it throughout the duration of the breastfeeding experience.

You've only been block feeding for four days and you're already seeing a difference. I think you're very well on your way to correcting the oversupply. Hang in there.

My nursing goals are: to return to work 6 weeks postpartum (approximately) and have her take a bottle by then (preferably sooner). I want to be able to express without increasing my supply. I would like to bf for at least 1 year.

Sounds like a plan!

Nursing seems to go best when she is really hungry upon waking up. She doesn't eat as well during her awake times, even if it has been 2 hours.
    Generally, she has a strong suck for about 3-5 minutes, then maybe takes a break and then returns to have a very weak suck for sometimes another 10 - 15 minutes. During the breaks, I try to burp her, maybe change her diaper or I just gently pat her back. When she's been awake for a long time, she eats very sporadically and weaker than normal (also fussing and easily waking upon falling asleep too).

Does anything in this (non-LLL) resource sound familiar?
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

She likes to fall asleep on the breast most of the time and I can tell her sucks get weaker and turn into comfort sucks, but I let her and try not to pull her off prematurely. Currently I have been feeding her every 2 hours, sometimes 3 at night. She is a great sleeper and is very calm at night, which I hope is a good sign.

Right! Let her finish the feed. This will help assure that she gets plenty of hindmilk.

It's great to hear that she is resting so well at night. It sure sounds like a good sign to me!

Dad definitely has a strong bond with her already and is very helpful with everything but the actual feeding! Even then, he is very encouraging and supportive. He is the one person who keeps telling me not to give up! The concern is that he won't be able to feed her when I am away, but I guess we won't know until we try.

I'm sure he could feed her when you're away. Even if your baby doesn't take to a bottle (most babies do--so don't worry about that yet!!), you can always feed by alternative means such as cup, spoon, syringe, or even a finger feeder.

I haven't, usually because I'm afraid that I'll start crying on the phone! I will make a point to wait til I am calm and try tomorrow.

Do call! Trust me when I say we've heard it all. Your Leader will not fall apart if you begin to cry. I think most every nursing mother has had one of those moments at least once in her breastfeeding relationship(s).

Those links were really helpful, thank you. I think I will just allow her to feed as often as she wants, despite hearing from people that she needs a schedule.

You're welcome!

Remember that other than your baby, the most important person to listen to is YOU. Our mothering insticts are strong.

Part of my fear was that only part of my breast would drain if she didn't eat very much and then I will develop another plugged duct (this has happened twice in two weeks!!). Can she really be hungry again after 30 minutes of a full feeding though?

You might find it reassuring to know that feeding frequently doesn't cause plugged ducts. In fact, the opposite is true. Milk stasis (milk staying inside the breast) is the most common culprit. Oversupply definitely can contribute, too. Here's a (non-LLL) resource that outlines some of the common causes of plugged ducts:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...tml#usualcause

Can she be hungry? Possibly. If you think it's not hunger, you could try other calming techniques first. If they're not what she needs, she'll let you know it. Listen to your baby.

After another 5 hour "awake session" which of course involved mom being in tears of exasperation, this post is what I needed to read today.

So glad to be of help!

Default Re: too much sleep and oversupplyhttp://forums.llli.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=24

Hang in there, mama! Things DO get better.

Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Jolie View Post
    Does anything in this (non-LLL) resource sound familiar?
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    Wow - that sounds just like her, although she's not always fussy, and this period of awake time is usually during the day and not the evening. I am seeing that it generally happens in the morning when the sun comes up. She is in one right now, and has been awake since 8 (it's almost noon now). I bet she will be asleep by 1, after she realizes Papa doesn't have breasts and asks me to nurse one more time.
    She is definitely sleeping most of the night, waking every 2 - 3 hours to feed and then going right back to sleep, especially if I have her in bed with us and cuddle her. The side-lying position is awesome for this! She also chokes on my letdowns a lot less (less un-latching too).
    LO loves to co-sleep. Unfortunately I am usually too neurotic and keep waking to check on her when she is not in the bassinet. I think I'm getting better though. Last night we both slept great.

I also wanted to mention that I'm not taking any meds or herbs other than some peppermint tea and Altoids (which I read can help with OS) and my caffeine intake is very limited (a glass of iced tea once in a while). Thankfully I have never liked coffee and I'm not all that big on chocolate.

Thank you again, Jolie for your help. I feel a lot better now knowing that she's probably okay. I will also bring this up with her pediatrician when we see her tomorrow.