Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Infant cold and vitamin C

Default Infant cold and vitamin C

My 7 mos DS has a cold. I've been upping my Vit C intake through foods and supplement thinking it may help him. Anyone know if a BF mom increasing her Vit C intake helps little ones?

Default Re: Infant cold and vitamin C

Hi Logan and Justin's mom,
    Colds are no fun! You are already helping him by giving him your milk. It's perfect nutrition that is easily & quickly digestible and it has antibodies to help him fight his illness. And the comfort he'll get at your breast is important too.
    Taking more than the recommended doses of vitamins is not recommended, according to LLL's BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK. Some vitamins are water soluble (C, B1, B3, B6, & B12) and any excess a mother takes will be flushed daily through her system. Fat-soluble vitamins are stored in fat & tissue. These vitamins (A, D, & E) should not be taken in larger than the recommended doses unless the mother has a deficiency and is being treated to bring her levels up to normal.
    Anyway, that's probably more than you asked for!
    How's your ds nursing? Is he congested? Congestion can make breastfeeding tricky. Let me know if you need some tips for that.

Hope he feels better soon!

Mary

Default Re: Infant cold and vitamin C

We had a rough night the other night because of congestion, but we got through it. He hasn't been nursing as often as usual, but I'm not concerned, he's still nursing, just not every 2 or so hours like before. I don't feel like eating when I have a cold either.

I nursed my first for almost 2 yrs. I remember the ups and downs with nursing and don't stress to much over stuff like this because I know he'll be back full force in a few days.