Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD10 months seems always hungry

Question DD10 months seems always hungry

Hi. Each child is different, and well, after nursing 3 babies beyond a year, my baby girl is a totally different ballgame!

She nurses several times a day and seems very hungry afterwards. She gets very frustrated and will nurse one side, and flip to the other side... back and forth...upset.

I really do feel she is not getting enough of my milk. I have decreased her solids, and nurse before meals etc. however, I don't want to starve her while my breast supply increases.

I did buy a pump, and while she was nursing on one side, I pumped on the other side. I only got 1 ounce out of it! If that's the case, no wonder she seems so hungry!

I'm not sure what to do. Should I pump right after she nurses and how long does it take for my supply to increase? I don't want her discouraged from nursing because of lack of milk.

Thanks!

Default Re: DD10 months seems always hungry

Hi There,

You're right, every baby and every nursing experience is a little different. I see you posted yesterday. How are things going now?

Did you ever pump before with your other children? You should know that pumps are not always good indicators of what you are producing.

That said, could there be other reasons for her behavior? Could she be teething, getting a cold, just being a 10-month-old ?

I realize you think it is a supply issue, so I will ask about her solids. Had she been eating a lot of other foods and had she decreased the amount of time and number of nursings?

To answer your question: Any increase in pumping/BF will help increase supply. The best thing you can do if you fear low supply is to have her nurse all of the time-as much as you can. Yes, you can pump after if you wish. BTW-what kind of pump did you purchase?

I've never pumped before..but I am really concerned about how much my DD is getting. When she is on the breast she sucks, pulls away and cries. If she sees a cup on the floor she tip it up to drink it, and is very upset if there is nothing in there...

I have been nursing her lots but I don't think she is sucking right... She does not suck hard, more like her tongue flutters on my nipple...barely doing anything. Every now and then she will actively suck (then I do notice her swallowing..) ...then quits to her "licking"...

It's like she is frustrated on how long it takes for milk to come out.

I have reduced solids, and feed her before every meal... but like i said, I don't think she is swallowing anything...

I do believe she is thirsty...

I have been pumping more, but I am very frustrated how little comes out. I have tried different ways, double/single, high/low pressure, etc... My pump is a Medela?

I don't want to give up nursing. I don't want to feel she is always hungry/thirsty...
    Help...

Here are some links on milk suppy issues:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/increase.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html (not LLL)

Just a few more questions for you:

Have you recently gotten your period back again? This can cause a slight dip in supply in some women?

Could you be pregnant? This can also cause supply issues sometimes.

Do you have sore nipples or notice any white patches inside dd's mouth? Have either of you recently been treated with antibiotics? Thrush can often cause fussiness at the breast.

Does she take any supplements? Water in a sippy cup?

Have you recently begun taking any medications, supplements, prescription or over-the-counter?

Is your pump brand-new or used? What kind of Medela is it?

Since you have backed off on the solids how have her wet/dirty diapers been? She may have infrequent BM's but she should still be having lots of wet diapers. This and growth are still the best ways to tell that a baby is getting enough.

How does she look? Skin looks good? When she cries does she have tears? Is she bright and alert? No other signs of dehydration?

To answer your question, most moms find that with increased nursing and/or pumping they notice an increase in supply within 2-3 days. Since you think that dd may not be nursing properly it may be helpful for you to see someone in person. Could you get in touch with a local IBCLC or LLLL?

It is rare for 10-month-old babies who were otherwise nursing well to just start nursing improperly for no reason. Teething can cause some babies pain and can alter the BF relationship sometimes. It usually doesn't last very long. Also, some babies at this age go through a "nursing strike". It can happen for what seems like no reason at all.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

I hope this helps. I will wait for your response.

Thanks...
    I've had my period for many months now
    pregnant? NOPE
    Do you have sore nipples or notice any white patches inside dd's mouth? NO
    Have either of you recently been treated with antibiotics? NO
    Does she take any supplements? NO Water in a sippy cup? NO (if she finds her brothers sippy cup she just devours it!)
    Have you recently begun taking any medications, supplements, prescription or over-the-counter? NO
    Is your pump brand-new or used? Used
    What kind of Medela is it? Don't know..In a black suitcase, double pumper

Her diapers are fine... She looks great. She isn't dehydrated. (has tears, tongue isn't dry,etc)
    She is getting teeth. She is walking everywhere, and climbing on things. Very active and happy.
    Maybe it is a strike.
    Today she has a terrible rash again. So, I have to figure out why... perhaps she is allergic to something I am eating?
    These last few days have been great. Esp. since I nurse more often, and pump to. Thanks. I just don't want to give up yet!

Glad to hear things are better! Sounds like you are doing all the right things.

You said she is *really* interested in sippy cups. At this point you could offer her little amounts of water in a cup. She may just enjoy playing with it! She wouldn't get enough to replace feedings-just to experiment. Of course, that is totally up to you.

Keep up the great work!

Hi. Well if my DD finds her brothers sippy cups she finishes them!! Sucks them down like she is starving! So, I do take them away from her and I don't offer her sippy cups...not when she finishes them off..

I see she has another tooth, so maybe that's the problem too...