Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hand expression question

Default Hand expression question

For a lark, I decided to try the Marmet Technique today instead of pumping. How on earth am I supposed to catch the milk? I get several streams, none of which go in the same direction. I thought maybe my 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup would be big enough, but I still had the odd errant stream (I'm sure my Breastfeeding Answer Book got wet ). Plus, I had a stiff back from having to lean over the measuring cup.

I was able to get 2 oz in 15 minutes. Then I pumped for another 10 minutes and got another 2.5 oz. I just used the pump on the other side (10 min) and got another 3 oz, which means a total of 7.5 oz. I can normally only get 6 oz by pumping 10 min on each side, so I'm thinking that if I practiced more, I could get more milk hand expressing rather than pumping!

Default Re: Hand expression question

I use compressions during pumping... cuts back on time.

I tried for like 30 minutes one day to hand express and never got anything. And I was really, really full (I'd forgotten my pump that day). So I applaud you for being able to do it. I've heard a lot of mom's say they get more that way nad that it's easier cause you don't need all the equipment.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I always use compressions while pumping. If I didn't, I would likely only get half the amount I do!

Nobody's got a milk catcher? I have an idea in mind, but it's not something I can build myself!

I can't remember who originally posted this link but major :tumbsup because it is what I use as a outline when teaching my moms hand expressing.

What I do is to use a large bowl to catch the milk, works fine. Every once in a while I'll get a wayward stream, but overall it works fine.

If you're using a bowl, do you not have to lean over? If I hand express while sitting up in a chair, I get at least 5 streams, each going in their own direction, but generally straight out from the breast. I can get arcs that land a couple feet away. My aim isn't THAT good

I have a rather ample boosom, so I don't have to lean that much

Quote Originally Posted by surfinrn&mom2mason View Post
    I can't remember who originally posted this link but major :tumbsup because it is what I use as a outline when teaching my moms hand expressing.
    That would be me! Lots of helpful info on that site!

For the OP, you might want this handy item:
    http://www.medela.ch/ISBD/en/breastf...cts/funnel.php

Yes, that does look like it might do the trick! Except it doesn't seem to be available in Canada. How frustrating!