Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping almost nothing--and panicking!

Default Pumping almost nothing--and panicking!

My son is four months old and exclusively breastfed. I pump daily while I work and his dad gives him breastmilk in a bottle. When I'm home, of course, I only nurse, and until recently we have had no problems. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a significant drop in my supply. Although it turns out that it was related to the imminent arrival of my first post-Thomas menstrual cycle, I saw an IBCLC, who suggested fenugreek, frequent pumping when I wasn't with the baby, and eating oatmeal and lactation cookies. I did all of the above and saw an increase within a couple of days. The past several days I have been unable to pump much of anything. The LC checked my pump and found no problems, but I have gone from being able to pump 4-6 ounces per session to now 1-2 if I'm lucky. I'm down to one freezer bag left and I am panicking! I don't want to supplement with formula, but he has to eat! Anyone have any experience with this? )Sorry this is so long.)
    Thanks,
    Paula

Default Re: Pumping almost nothing--and panicking!

Also, if it does get to the point of having to supplement, how do I know what to use? Just call the pediatrician or figure it out on my own (trial and error)? Probably a really dumb question, but I have no idea.

has your cycle returned?
    Sometimes mothers find a dip in supply when they get their period.
    But in a few days you should be able to pump like before

duh I can read....
    sorry
    I bet in a few days you'll be back to pumping like you were before.
    Are you under a bunch of stress?
    Sometimes mothers have truble when they are under stress..

It did go back up for a few days, but now has dropped again, but as far as I can tell, it's only when it comes to pumping; he seems to be getting plenty when he nurses and has good numbers of wets and dirties.

You're right--I have been under some stress. I'm leaving the job I've had for 10 years this week and starting another one, and that's been stressful. I guess I'll just keep up the fenugreek and oatmeal and lots of fluids and keep trying. I've been pumping the opposite side when he nurses, but not much improvement. If it comes down to it, I can always try one of the prescription medications the IBCLC talked about.

Thanks!

Try some of the tips for assisting MER (found near the bottom of linked page) in combination with your pumping routine:
    http://www.lactationinstitute.org/MANUALEX.html

Also make it a point to relax before you sit down to pump. Do some deep breathing. Imagine that waterfalls are rushing forth from your breasts. Smell an article of your baby's clothing. Maybe even put a warm compress on your breasts. Involving all of your senses can help a lot.

Keep us updated!

I had the same trouble. Dip in my supply due to the return of my period. Always came back. I pumped for 5 mo. and now am home w/ my baby during the summer - no need to pump! But am returning in the fall and can't seem to get my breasts adjusted to pumping again. If your baby sleeps through the night, that can change your milk supply. I'm not sure what to do when I go back in the fall - b/c my baby is fine when he nurses, but he will need food during the day while I'm gone! I'm with you on this one and am looking for any advice I can get!

i need help too-i have started exlusively pumping and my supply keeps going down, i'm pumping b/c she wont latch anymore, she will be 4 mos old soon and i pump 2-3 times a day and get 4 oz altogether if i am lucky and i am starting to think its not worth it-i drink the mothers milk tea, dark beer, fenugreek supplements, water, nothings working-is there a good hospital pump i can get- i have the medela pump in style

I am taking fenugreek, eating oatmeal (which I like, but I am SICK of it ), drinking water all day long, and pumping like a fiend. I am seriously considering doing milk dances to ancient gods at this point. I did pump a little today, but we believe that my electric pump is not working correctly. I called Ameda today, and they are FedExing a new one that should arrive tomorrow, and fingers are crossed that that will at least help. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of you too. It is so frustrating, and such a helpless feeling, to think about having to supplement after all this time. Please let me know if things get better for you and if so, what you did.

Paula