Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nine month check up

Default nine month check up

went to see cadens pediatrician today and he weighs 14 lbs 6 oz, at six months he was 12 lbs 10 oz. she said she isnt really worried about his weight but it is falling a little on the curve, but we'll know whether to worry or not when we see how he is at one year. she said if we wanted to we could try giving him a little pediasure to help him gain a little bit. has anyone else ever done this?

also i was just wondering how often your nine month olds nurse and what kind of solids and how much they eat... i offer to nurse him every three hours during the day which ends up to be about 5-6 times. otherwise he would only eat every four or five hours and with him sleeping all night that just isnt often enough.

i hate when i start doubting myself after we take him to the doctor....

Default Re: nine month check up

Sorry you are doubting yourself, but you shouldn't! That's right around what I figure my LO will weigh at her 9 mo. checkup in a month. I wouldn't mess with the Pediasure. I hear it's full of all kinds of garbage. Boob juice is the best thing you can give him. And DD nurses about the same as your LO too, though now she will refuse to nurse sometimes if I offer "too soon", little stinker! You're doing great!

My nine month old still nurses every two hours or so. He also wakes at night but because we cosleep I am not sure how many times. I think 2-3 times between 9pm and 6am. He loves solids and eats everything I give him-all fruits and veggies,grains etc. We just had our 9 month appt as well.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

have you read whats in pedisure? yuck
    and why not formula? Thats sort of werid advice for a baby under a year.
    maybe just feeding/ offering more often would help.
    Healthy high fats soilds would be the way to go over the pedisure or formula!

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html

oh she said formula was an option too but i had just never even heard of pediasure so i wasnt sure what to think of it.

check it out the next time you go to the store.
    I know a gal who had a little guy who was just little at 2 the started with the pediasure and soon that was all that he would eat.. he refused everything else. And it didn't make him grow or gain weight.
    IT just put more $$$ into the forumla company.

My nine month old nurses about every 2 hours and 2-4 times at night. Does your baby like avocado? That's high in fat and calories but also has good nutrients too! I'd try that and more nursing instead of formula or pediasure.

If your child has always been low and is meeting milestones you shouldn't worry too much. I would do some research on higher calorie/fat foods that are also good for your baby and push those foods.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

we usually do not take LO for his check-ups (he's not vaxed) for that very reason...it starts to get you worried. We only take him when he's sick...and that's usually after we've tried to treat things at home. I digress...I can tell you that my LO came out relatively big...and then grew pretty fast...12 lbs by 6weeks. But, I can tell you that between months 4-7 he hardly gained any weight. Then boom...between months 8-10 he gained 3 lbs. Since 10 months he hasn't gained any weight at all. Through all of that I just kept doing what I had been doing...feeding DS according to his cues/needs.

I also watched for other signs of a problem...was he gaining in height? was he meeting developmental milestones? did he seem happy/content?

Because I could answer "YES" to all of these other questions...the lack of weight gain didn't bother me so much.

All that said, I still don't see what your doctor is concerned about...your DS gained just about 2 lbs in 3 months...babies are supposed to slow down the second half of the first year, especially BF babies. I really would just relax and keep doing what you are doing.

BTW, how are you and your husband built? Maybe you are just going to have a smaller child. That is possible too.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

http://www.pediasure.com/pedia_info.aspx

heres the website they say on the web site not to be used by infants under one...

if you pick on of the flavors you can read whats in each flavor...

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohsMom View Post
    BTW, how are you and your husband built? Maybe you are just going to have a smaller child. That is possible too.
    both of us were small babies, always below the charts. so i know that he's probably just like us but still i cant help but think... what if i'm starving him some how? im just a worrier i suppose.