Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping and supply

Question pumping and supply

Does anyone know appro. how much more milk the Lo gets vs how much you are able to pump? does the Lo get double that or what?

Default Re: pumping and supply

My first pump was onlya tablespoon so I hope they get much more than that....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

i was told the baby gets more than the pump will pump...i will look for the link if someone dont get to u before i do

I'm not a pumping expert since I usually can't get much myself, but I think that there isn't an equation or anything like that -- just generally know that your baby will take more than the pump can get, especially if you're just starting out. How much you get when you pump depends on a lot of things from my experience, such as when did the baby last feed and how much did he/she take, how stressed you are, what you're doing while you're pumping, pump quality, etc.

I was in the hospital and the staff weighed my baby before and after eating and I know she can easily take 100-110 grams of milk in 15 minutes but I only pumped that much once, and that was in the morning when she wasn't very hungry. The rest of the time I can pump between 10-40 usually, sometimes more, sometimes less. I've also been engorged and KNEW milk was in there but couldn't get it to come out with the stupid pump. So, there was no hard and fast rule between what baby ate and how much I pumped, but baby always took more.

Hope this helps some...

I pump much more than she drinks. During the day she'll usually take about 3-4oz, and I pump about that much from each breast. I'll keep the other 3-4oz for the next feeding, but by the end of the day I've usually ended up with about 10oz extra which goes straight to storage.