Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Success!

Default Success!

After feeding with a nipple shield since a few days after birth, my DS had his first no-shield meal this morning. He'll be a month old on Tuesday. Yesterday, he finally was able to latch to me pretty consistently, but only after a little bit on the shield. This morning, he latched without it on both sides. I'm so happy he's getting it now. It's not the best latch but it's not really that bad, either. Just wanted to share the success.

Also, my LO slept the longest stretch through the night last night (6 hours). I woke up and couldn't believe he was still sleeping. Surprisingly, I didn't seem to be leaking, either, which was a bit odd I thought. I thought about waking him up, but remembered my LC saying that as long as the baby's diaper count/weight is OK, there's no need to wake the baby at night. Does this sound right?

Default Re: Success!

thats wonderful you were able to nurse without the sheild!!
    I know you've mentioned this on another thread, but how old is your baby again??
    I dont see any problem with letting his sleep. Especially if his diaper output is good and your LC has told you its okay-thats an added bonus!!
    It could be he is able to take in more milk w/o the shield (i have heard that w/ the shield they take in more air or dont get as much but i honestly have no experience with them so I dont know..)
    so if he has more milk in his belly he is able to sleep a little bit longer!!
    enjoy it and I hope he continues to do well!

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Thanks for the support. My baby will be one month old this coming Tuesday. Off to feed again...hopefully sans shield!

Congrats! I weaned off the shield at 6 weeks. Once they get stronger it is easier for them to suck and latch without it.
    Something that might help to know..Once I got off the shield, my nipples were very sore. I did them occasionally use the shield until the soreness healed but eventually just stopped all together. i have a love-hate relationship with the shield!
    congrats and best of luck to you and your LO...

Wonderful news! Congratulations on feeding without the shield. I know what a sense of achievement that is! It took my son closer to 3 months and, at 11 mths, he is still nursing (without shields) and loving it - it just took him a while to figure it out!

Congratulations Successes like that make my day as a SAHM Keep at it mama!!