Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to prepare peaches?

Default How to prepare peaches?

I want to offer my LO peaches today. I am not sure how exactly to prepare them. They are very ripe so should I just smashed them or puree them somehow? The same thing I am wondering about avocado and banana. How do I do it? Thank you in advance....

Default Re: How to prepare peaches?

How old is your LO?

For peaches - I just cut a slice and hand it to my DS. I leave the skin on to make it easier to hold on to, and he eats all the fruit and spits out the skin.

Banana - can split into thrids length wise (it will naturally split into thirds) and give a piece to LO.

Avocado - I give DS a slice or a chunk.

Disclaimer - we did a baby led approach to solids with our DS so he ate these foods when he was able to pick them up and feed himself.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Andrew is 5.5 months old. He is eating the rice cereal and he loves it. He also eats pretty much everything we give him. I mean he licks my finger when I dip it in whatever I am eating. I just wanted to try if he will like peaches, or avocado, or banana. I just was not sure how to prepare them. I think maybe I should just mashed them in a plate or blend them in the blender. I want him to eat it with a spoon so...

you could scrape it with a fork. and the put that on a spoon.
    for bannana just scrape it with the spoon.
    hes young yet! go slow!

for peaches you can cut them up, steam them for about 5 minutes, the skins will easily come off, then throw in a food processor and blend for a couple of seconds. I am doing baby-led solids so we don't use purees too much and I really think it's worth looking into this approach. My son is great at chewing things up at 9 months and I feel it's because he was doing it starting at 6 months old. I've read that with purees they get so used to just sucking the food down (like milk) instead of chewing, that when you make things chunkier and give more foods as they get older they can have trouble chewing and more choking issues because they didn't learn how to properly chew "solid" food.

In the early days I just mashed up banana and avocado and put it on Henry's high chair tray for him to self-feed.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

TM is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I wash them, cut them and then peel skin off and feed in mesh feeder bag, peaches
    Bananas I just mashe with a fork a bit and she puts her fingers in it.
    Avocado, we just scoop some and mush a little.
    My LO is 5.5 too

I inroduced peace to my LO when he was around 6.5 months old, I pealed it and then gave it to him as whole as I am doing baby-led solids, and he just loved it..made a biiiiggg mess but yet he tried really hard..

He never chocked, he would chew on the small bits and spit the larger ones. Now at around 9 months old, since he is getting better and better with pincher grasp as well as chewing even though he dosent have a singel tooth, i slice them and giva it to him, he almost eats half a peach in every setting without leaving much on his tray. He is getting effecient.
    Last edited by Noora_z3; July 27th, 2007 at 08:15 AM.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

I am doing a mix of blw and mashed foods - but i just clean it, eat the skin off and then give it to her she loves it and cant choke if it's not super ripe b/c it's too hard...it also soothes her gums (i give it to her from the fridge)...anyway, she loves eating it and has devoured large portions of the fruit since she was about 7 months old

alternatively, you can just mash it down like a banana.

I inroduced peace to my LO when he was around 6.5 months old, I pealed it and then gave it to him as whole as I am doing baby-led solids, and he just loved it..made a biiiiggg mess but yet he tried really hard..
    This is how we serve dd peaches and apples. She loves them this way! And she has never choked either.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!