Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best way to defrost?

Default Best way to defrost?

Maybe this should go under milk storage...

Anyway, I'll be going back to work in a few weeks & am wondering about the best way to defrost frozen BM. I defrosted a bag in the fridge two days ago, but it was yesterday afternoon before it was mostly defrosted. There was still a little ice in it this morning! I've read that defrosted milk lasts a day in the fridge, and hour at room temperature. When does the clock start--when it's completely defrosted or when you take it out of the freezer?

Also, is there a trick to keeping the bags from busting? I'm using Lansinoh bags. Out of four bags, two have leaked. I've started putting the bags in a cup in my fridge, but it seems a little unsanitary to have milk just sitting out in my fridge as it leaks from the bag. What do the rest of you do?
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Default Re: Best way to defrost?

I read the running it under cool water and progressivly increasing the temp. Don't run it under hot water or put in boiling water....

Not to sure about the bags....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Put the bag in a bowl of luke warm H2O or running H2O. I haven't had any bag leaking issues. Is the bag stuck to your freezer maybe? Put the bags inside of a zip lock when freezing to keep that from happening.

Hi Betsy
    When I need to defrost some milk I just run it under some warm water and that usually works. As for the bags I use the Gerber bags and have never had a problem with them leaking. In fact our local Walmart only sells those certain bags. HTH.

Megan

I always took a frozen bag out of the freezer when I got home from work in the afternoon and put it in the fridge, and it was defrosted by the following morning. Then my sitter would heat it with warm water when it was time to feed.

We also used the Gerber bags and I never had a problem with leaks.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

Thanks for your responses, ladies. I think I'll try the Gerber bags next. I don't know what's up with these Lansinohs. Maybe it's the user! Hopefully I'll have better luck with a different brand. Thanks again!
    Betsy, Mom to Maggie, born naturally 4/29/07.

Yes, what my mom used to do with my oldest DS was to take the bag of frozen milk and place it in a large cup of warm water or simply hold the bag under warm running water. It would defrost rather quickly! NEVER microwave milk, it could burn the baby and the high level of heat also zaps some of the nutrients!! As for the bags, it has been a while since I used them so I can't remember, but I do remember Gerber being good as well. I did not like the Medela ones at all. Those are the ones that caused leakage for me! HTH
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

I also put my frozen bags into large cups of warm water. They defrost in no time at all. Be sure to defrost them before lo is really hungry and crying. A crying baby makes a 30 second defrost job seem like 30 minutes.