Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: diaper rash

Default Re: diaper rash

Andrea Ohio,
    Thanks for the link back to the Dr. Sears page. I read that many months ago before I had any idea what a real diaper rash was, but my LO has had a tummy virus and along with that lovely green poop came a nasty looking rash. I hadn't committed most of that web page to memory so it was a good reminder. And I'll be putting him in the buff tomorrow a bit too.

Thanks ladies!

I'm precautious because my son had a bad diaper rash when he was around two weeks. What I've done since is that when I bath him I give him an all body oil massage (from chest to toes just bc he gets a heat rash from the shoulders above) to keep his skin nice and moist instead of flaky. Then before I put his diaper back on, after the bath, I put a and d all over the skin that will be touching the diaper -not much on the wee wee though. On every diaper change after that I wipe, dry, and use desitin -no diaper rash since! And I guess if he has allergies then try a&D instead of desitin

Something that no one has mentioned is often baby wipes make it worse. They tend to leave a coating on the area - even the sensitive ones sometimes cause problems. So it was suggested by my dr to use simply washclothes and water. Others have suggested using the wipes but rinsing them in water first. I find the washclothes too bulky to really get in there and clean properly. So what I did was take the birdseye cloth diapers (not prefolded - the really thin ones) and cut them into 8 pieces and use them as wipes. I keep a container of water by the changing table to dip them in. I have a bucket I throw them in when I'm done. Then when I've used them all I put them all in one of those lingere bags you use for delicate laundry and throw them in the washing machine for one cycle with cold water no detergent and then throw the bag in with the regular whites with bleach. They tend to fray a bit around the edges but I just cut off the frayed strings, smooth them out and reuse them. Saves money too! My dr also recommended Mr. Smith's diaper cream which for some reason they keep behind the counter. Apparently it's even better than that butt paste stuff. I'm also going to get a hairdryer to dry him out in between diapers. My sil said she would put her boy on his belly and dry him out with it on low. She said it works like a charm and her little boy loved it and would raise his butt up like a cat when you scratch above his tail. Hehe.

If all these methods don't work and if there are red dots around the edges of the rash it might be a fungal infection requiring special medicine. I had that happen but it cleared up right away with the fungal medicine (they say it's a yeast infection, just like thrush). Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by thecowgirl View Post
    also, should i be concerned if there was a small amount of blood (very very tiny amount) coming from the diaper rash when i last changed a diaper? i think it came from one of the red pimples....
    Mine had a little blood, like pin pricks, I wasn't concerned (like I would be if I found blood in the stool concerned) but I did want to relieve my DD pain. I found Zincofax works better then the berts butt cream or anything I have tried. The Xstrength has like 40% zinc oxide which I think is the highest you can go before persrciption. I put that on her bum and her face looked relieved. I found some of the others cause her more pain before any relief set in.
    I also found it was pretty easy to wipe of during changes so I was not irritating her anymore then I had to.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

My son had a similar sounding rash around the same age without the pee pee involment but with the addition of a tiny painful looking fissure right at his anus. It didn't seem to bother him though. The rash was only in his butt crack.

We tried Desitin, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, airing him out ALOT, putting nothing on it and his Doc prescribed Nystatin ointment on the off chance it was yeast, saying that if it was, it should clear up very quickly. Well, I put the ointment on right after we collected the prescription at dinner time. By nighttime the rash had virtually gone and by morning, so had the fissure.

Over the counter Clotrimazole cream should work just as well as Nystatin. You can find it either beside the vaginal yeast infection medications at the pharmacy, or in the athletes foot section.

Oh, and we didn't put a baby wipe near his butt or anywhere else till he was around 5 or 6 weeks old. Water and cotton wool only till then.