Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: diaper rash

Default diaper rash

what can I do to prevent diaper rash? my 3 week old baby boy has a reddish area around his rectal area, and a red pimple or two up near his pee pee area. i have been using boudreaux's butt cream, which seems to help some... but am looking for other suggestions/ideas. i try to change him frequently... he wets quite often so this is a challenge!

Default Re: diaper rash

I LOVE Boudreaux's Butt Paste....I have however, used in the past, Baby Gold Bond....I know, I know....powder=taboo....but I place it on my fingertips and rub it in (far away from DD's face), and I ensure it can not be inhaled. Works like a charm!!!
    Also, I let my LO's (older children) bottom air dry a lot and expose their bum to sunlight near a window, not directly, and have also used a low temp blow dryer in severe cases. (rec. by pediatrician)
    HTH
    Last edited by RooS MummY; July 26th, 2007 at 01:12 PM.

If the weather is nice where you are, take your baby outside and let him have some bare-bottom time on a blanket. There's nothing like airing out those nether regions to kill the dreaded diaper rash!

Like PP have said, airing out in the sun for a few minutes works wonders for diaper rash. All my children have zinc oxide (main ingredient in most baby rash creams) allergies - they get nice big boils/blisters. The best thing for us has been making sure diapers get changed often, making sure diaper area is dry before putting on another diaper, and then putting on a nickle sized amount of regular (not baby) vaseline. That has worked wonders for my kids bums.

I might suggest cloth diapering however . . . I'm switching over and a main reason I am is b/c it supposedly causes a LOT less diaper rashes If you are uninterested in that however, I have found the Walmart White Cloud brand of diapers to be the least offensive . . . my ped recommended them to us b/c they don't have all the added stuff Huggies, Pampers etc have . . . worked for us and saved us a little $$ Good luck!!

Prevention is the best bet. But that is so hard as your LO lives in a diddy. Try to air dry before placing another diaper on always if at all possible. I use a mix that I found online by Dr. Jack Newman that works GREAT at prevention. We use it before naps and at night as these are the times my DS will sit in a wet one for longer than usual.

Mix together-
    -Desitin 3 parts
    -Lanolin (Lanisoh) 2 parts
    -and white petroleum Jelly 1 part

I never "measure" per say. I eyeball it. But am proud to say I have been using it for over a year and in that time there has been NO diaper rash....AT ALL..NONE...Give it a shot
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

california baby makes a great diaper rash cream, that smells so good...as pp said sunshine is great, and what bay does not like to be naked

also consider that a rash in the diaper could mean a food allergy...

when you say lanisoh, i am assuming you mean the same one that is used as a cream on the breasts? (want to make sure i'm thinking of the right thing...)

also, how would you determine a food allergy from diaper rash? i haven't heard that before. any tips/pointers are great. thanks!

also, should i be concerned if there was a small amount of blood (very very tiny amount) coming from the diaper rash when i last changed a diaper? i think it came from one of the red pimples....

dr sears has a good page about diapar rash:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp

I use A&D ointment on Abby every day. If her bottom looks a little bit irritated I put it on her and it goes away by the next diaper change. I also put it on her after her bath. So far no rash. Just in case though I also have the A&D with Zinc Oxide in it. (the ointment it in the brown box, the cream comes in the blue box)

So far I haven't even opened the A&D with Zinc because the A&D ointment seems to be doing its job.

Also, I change Abby right away when she's wet or has a poopy diaper. It seems like I go through a lot of diapers sometimes, but I'd rather not take the risk of her getting a rash.

I remember when Kayla was a baby she would get AWFUL rashes, and had several yeast infections. The bleeding only happened with the yeast infections...maybe look into that?