Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just thought I would share.... 12 mo visit

Default Re: Just thought I would share.... 12 mo visit

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    Oh definitely get her off that super-nutritious, living, immunity-packed human milk and get her right on the pasteurized, homogenized, hormone-packed bovine variety ASAP.

Oh definitely get her off that super-nutritious, living, immunity-packed human milk and get her right on the pasteurized, homogenized, hormone-packed bovine variety ASAP.
    Sarcasm will get you everywhere. I almost want to sleep with you right now.
    And if I can remember it all I'm going to USE IT. And I'm going to say it just like that!

Way too lazy for formula

At my lo's 12 month appointment they wanted to know what type of milk he was drinking - as in formula, whole, 2% etc. I responded with HUMAN. I don't know why I didn't say breastmilk I think I just wanted to make the point that this is what 12 month old humans should be drinking. Boy were they confused.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by all night DQ View Post
    At my lo's 12 month appointment they wanted to know what type of milk he was drinking - as in formula, whole, 2% etc. I responded with HUMAN. I don't know why I didn't say breastmilk I think I just wanted to make the point that this is what 12 month old humans should be drinking. Boy were they confused.
    Love it!
    BTW as a side note, when you mamas do start cow's milk I suggest spending the extra dough on organic for your LOs to avoid the hormones and antibiotics.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    My ped always gives me the same funny look when I say I'm still nursing -- the slightly raised eyebrows "oh, you're one of them" kind of look. At 12 months she asked how I long I plan to keep nursing and I said "I don't know, we'll see how it goes." But we don't talk about it much and she never openly questions me about it. She wants to know if DS is drinking any cows milk and I say yes and she seems content with that. Well, I guess last time she did question whether nursing at night was suppressing his appetite for solids. I just shrugged it off and she didn't press it... Right now Jeremy is eating really well during the day, and night nursing patterns haven't changed at all.
    I have been reading a few threads, that brings up the topic of continued breastfeeding (of course!). What I am a little curious about is who has decided that it is better to wean children at a young age, and who has decided that cow milk or formula is better than breastmilk? is that all on the formula company, or is there some other group that would benefit from pushing the issue? I guess I don't see how years and years ago infants/children suffered so badly from the lack of formula and cows milk at an early age. It always seemed to me that people were healthier, even despite the lack of advanced medical care.

Yeah That's a good one

It IS weird, I agree. The AAP says that weaning before the age of two increases a child's risk of getting sick. And typically docs just go by what the AAP says. And lets remember the whole "do no harm" promise they all made. And if weaning can be harmful... well..

And yet that kid hits 12 months and so many get... weird. I'd like to be a fly on the wall at a formula fed baby's check-ups. Maybe they try to make the talks with the breastfeeding families parallel to the talks about about getting off bottles and formula. I got the feeling that my old pediatrician (she moved) saw a lot of poor nursing manners in her older breastfeeding patients... most likely because they were nervous about being at the doctor's office. And maybe some insecure, embarrassed and confused mothers. So maybe the docs think it's better to help moms avoid getting into such a situation?? I'm totally guessing. None of my docs ever told me to wean or how to wean because they had no idea. That first ped wanted me to cut back a little and when I did (much later), she asked with sincere curiosity, "How did you do it?" I had to pause. I wondered if other mothers were asking her how. Then I pretty much told her I used the word, "later." Then she seemed to ponder that. It was a weird conversation. She had breastfed 18 years ago, but I never asked her how long. I wish I had.

Quote Originally Posted by awnja View Post
    she asked with sincere curiosity, "How did you do it?" I had to pause. I wondered if other mothers were asking her how. Then I pretty much told her I used the word, "later." Then she seemed to ponder that. It was a weird conversation. She had breastfed 18 years ago, but I never asked her how long. I wish I had.
    I've mentionned this before but our old pediatrician (we moved) asked me for weaning advice when her son became a toddler. What cracked me up was that I bet some new moms would think they could ask the doctor for advice on how to wean. It's just not in their area of expertise.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Quote Originally Posted by mommajoliska View Post
    I have been reading a few threads, that brings up the topic of continued breastfeeding (of course!). What I am a little curious about is who has decided that it is better to wean children at a young age, and who has decided that cow milk or formula is better than breastmilk? is that all on the formula company, or is there some other group that would benefit from pushing the issue? I guess I don't see how years and years ago infants/children suffered so badly from the lack of formula and cows milk at an early age. It always seemed to me that people were healthier, even despite the lack of advanced medical care.

My only guess is that 12 months is the earliest they recommend giving cow's milk b/c of possible allergies. So at 12 months it's ok to give it to them, so you should stop giving them breastmilk and give them cow's milk? Makes no sense to me, and I think the only reason doctors don't support extended bfing more is because they are ignorant of the benefits. They need to mandate a breastfeeding class for all med students, especially pediatricians.
    Bee- proud mama to Maggie, 6/12/06 and Maya, 10/15/08

Quote Originally Posted by *MaggieMay* View Post
    My only guess is that 12 months is the earliest they recommend giving cow's milk b/c of possible allergies. So at 12 months it's ok to give it to them, so you should stop giving them breastmilk and give them cow's milk? Makes no sense to me, and I think the only reason doctors don't support extended bfing more is because they are ignorant of the benefits. They need to mandate a breastfeeding class for all med students, especially pediatricians.

Perhaps more than a class. how about a certain number of hours. The reason, though, that lots of people are ignorant about breastfeeding is because it is basically a learning experience. You can know the popular facts, but unless you actually experience it, it won't be entirely accurate, KWIM?