Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just thought I would share.... 12 mo visit

Default Just thought I would share.... 12 mo visit

My ped is a little loopy at times. Our 12 mo visit tues went fine. The nurse asked how much whole milk she was drinking and I told them maybe 2 oz a day- I only give it to her with her meals. I told them I was still bfing every 3-4 hours. When the doc came in she asked about the whole milk- "Only about 2 oz a day?" I told her yeah, we are still nursing and that i only introduced the milk last week. She didn't say anything other than her "Okay" which is kinda a questioning okay- KWIM. Then she said something I thought was really stupid, "Babies tend to forget easy where there milk comes from" I guess she was hinting that a sippy and whole milk is what I should be going for. I heard the word "sippy" but nothing else, I was still caught on that comment. Is she implying that weaning is easy because my lo will forget that she got milk from her mommy for the past year? I think she smoked some crack before she came in the room..lol... Anyhow, she asked how long I plan to nurse and I said when she and I are both ready to stop. To that I got no reply. O'well, atleast she didn't come right out and suggest weaning. I worked hard to bf until a year, why would I just all of a sudden stop???? Crazy Crazy Crazy

Just thought I would let you all know that weaning should be easy because "babies tend to forget easily where their milk comes from"

Default Re: Just thought I would share.... 12 mo visit

- exactly
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

She should tell that to my 8 month old DD who knows exactly where her milk comes from and gets angry if she does not get it as soon as she wants it .
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Yeah, this child pawing at my shirt has no idea where the milk comes from.

That's what I was thinking. Does my lo just stop trying to lift my shirt up to get a snack???

Quote Originally Posted by season32 View Post
    Yeah, this child pawing at my shirt has no idea where the milk comes from.
    So true. My DD does not seem to be forgetting!!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

well thats bonkers.... my 4 year old never forgot.

My ped always gives me the same funny look when I say I'm still nursing -- the slightly raised eyebrows "oh, you're one of them" kind of look. At 12 months she asked how I long I plan to keep nursing and I said "I don't know, we'll see how it goes." But we don't talk about it much and she never openly questions me about it. She wants to know if DS is drinking any cows milk and I say yes and she seems content with that. Well, I guess last time she did question whether nursing at night was suppressing his appetite for solids. I just shrugged it off and she didn't press it... Right now Jeremy is eating really well during the day, and night nursing patterns haven't changed at all.
    Annie
    Mama to Jeremy Daniel (12/10/2005)

I'm a late cloth convert...and you? :tumbsup

My LO weaned himself almost 2 months ago...and he will still occasionally get excited and try to latch on when he sees me without my shirt on. I allow him and let latches on correctly and unlatches and runs off when he finds that there is no milk coming out.

He sure hasn't forgotten.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Oh definitely get her off that super-nutritious, living, immunity-packed human milk and get her right on the pasteurized, homogenized, hormone-packed bovine variety ASAP.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.