Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can tell if it's too soon/reaction to the food?

Default How can tell if it's too soon/reaction to the food?

Have any of your babies had a reaction to any food they were given? How do I know if my ds has an allergy? What kind of symptoms?
    I've introduced a little bit of food here and there-nothing everyday except the past 3 days he has had bananas for breakfast. He seems to love them and eats like a champ. He is 4 months old- I know it's early still but he has shown much interest in what we're eating, holds himself up very well. He's also had rice cereal and a bit of peach over the past couple of weeks.

Default Re: How can tell if it's too soon/reaction to the food?

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t041800.asp

heres a link with good info on what to look for in baby.

just a warning, bananas are known to constipate babies. my son didnt poop for 11 days after he tried bananas (he was a little over 6 mo),but I know other moms who have had problems too.
    just wanted to let you know...

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

He's definitely not constipated. He poops like a champ too! They have been rather stinky this week though...

If there is a reaction to food, usually they'll have a red ring around their anus- from where the food is coming in contact with the skin on the other end. Our lo has rashes and I use this to determine if it's something she ate or something she came into contact with.

Oh yeah, you can also look for abnormal gassiness. I don't know if it indicates an allergy or just that a food makes them particularly gassy, but I avoid those foods before bedtime.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Drastic symptoms like bumpy rash all over the body, diarrhea or vomiting will indicate an allergy as opposed to mild discomfort or gas which usually indicate sensitivity.