Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spit up coming out of nose!

Exclamation Spit up coming out of nose!

My dd is 9 1/2 weeks old and has reflux so she spits up quite a bit. I have changed my diet to help reduce the acid in my breastmilk and that seems to help. My concern now is that the last two days she has had spit up come out of her nose. When this happens, it only comes out of her nose - nothing comes out of her mouth. She did this once yesterday and once today. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

Default Re: Spit up coming out of nose!

I had the same issue when Morgan was about 6-8 wks. Her issues also included crying, arching back (not gas), refusal to eat and got worse as time went on.

To start, her Dr had me add 1T of rice cereal to a 3-4oz breastmilk bottle to help hold the milk down. Bottle nipple holes aren't large enough to let the cereal thru so we had to poke some extra holes & make the main hole larger (used a sterile safety pin & then resterilized the nipples). That was a lot of trial/error but it did keep the milk down until her reflux got worse.

After speaking to a lactation consultant, I cut dairy out of my diet. Takes a few wks for it to leave yours & baby's systems. For us, that has done the trick, along with administering AXID (antiacid-no side effects) for Morgan. I dont use the rice cereal anymore & am back to BF like normal.

My lo doesn't have reflux - that I am aware of - yet she often has spit up coming out of her nose. I swear I read somewhere that this is normal.
    Can't tell you where though b/c I am currently reading about 10 books!
    What a nerd

DS has done this before too. I think it is normal. Also my DD had reflux and just wanted to tell you it does get better. I used to think it was going to last forever and I would have a toddler spitting up macaroni and cheese! I think than it was almost gone by about 10 months.

Jenn
    Mom to - DD1 10/5/05, DS 6/27/07 & DD2 6/18/09

My son had reflux and also spit up out his nose. The pediatrician put him on Ranitidine (Zantac) and that helped a lot. Also, once his head grew a bit, the volume of spit up was reduced compared to the size of his throat/mouth, so it stopped coming out his nose.

I wouldn't give a baby under 4 months any solids like cereal. There is a reason why complimentary foods aren't recommended prior to 4 to 6 months (depending on who you believe). You are increasing the potential for allergies by doing so because their bellies aren't mature enough.