Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gerber pump--does it work?

Default Gerber pump--does it work?

I just bought a Gerber hand pump with the Gentle Massage silicone insert. No suction at all, and I've checked and checked the assembly for gaps, so I think it might just be defective. Does anyone own one to know if it usually works, or if I'm better off with my old Avent? Anyone own both to compare?

Default Re: Gerber pump--does it work?

it didn't do much for me lol I bought an electric
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

NOO!! They suck - actually no they don't - lol That was the first pump I bought, and if you play with it long enough it will work, but very slowly and even when your a pro at it, it is still hard bc you have to assemble in JUST RIGHT.

Anyway I thought it was just the fact that it was a manual, so I bought an electric, which was such a relief(medela). But I just recently bought a dbl medela off of ebay and it came with a manual - and it works really good, I was surprised! So it is definitely a problem with Gerber, not the fact that it is a manual.

Hope that helps.

That stinks! My Avent hand pump actually had great suction, and the insert seemed to produce a better letdown for me than the hard Medela (never got the hang of it, even though it was hospital-grade electric that I was renting). The Gerber one seemed like a good idea, since the massaging part is supposed to work on the nipple as well as areola, and that's how I justified spending money on a second pump. Now I have to decide whether to splurge on a new Avent or just sterilize really, really well. We had persistant thrush, so my old one sits waiting for a decision while I am thinking that $30 for a pump is a lot less than another round of antifungal prescriptions, better safe than sorry. Meanwhile the frugal, packrat part of me cringes...sigh...and the Gerber was on clearance, so I doubt they'd refund it.

Guess Gerber doesn't really want you to produce a lot of ebm...the more room in baby's tummy for solids, right? Their nursing pads are some of the worst as far as promoting yeast growth (thrush), too!
    Last edited by Quiteria; May 9th, 2006 at 11:08 PM.

I had my baby at a hospital that very much encouraged BFing. A class I took through them informed us soon to be moms that pumps produced by formula or baby food companies are not worth buying. They said that those pumps are made to be difficult to use on purpose so that new moms will give up on EBF, which in turn allows them to make more money through the sale of their formulas, etc. They suggested sticking with ameda and/or medela pumps. It's hard because many of those pumps appear to be more affordable, but I suggest sticking with a more reputable brand. I hope this information helps.

I have the Medela PISA & I love it to death. The only reason I just purchased a manual is for the convenience of carrying it shopping (I don't care how stylish it looks, 8lbs does not do my back any favours). Yes, Gerber does make some pretty crappy products, including that pump. Go ahead and sterilize your old pump. Thrush has nothing to do with the pump itself. The only way your baby could ever get thrush is if he actually made contact with your nipple. What you may want to do if & when you're breastfeeding, is to wipe your entire nipple area off prior to and after feeding with a warm damp cloth (regardless if the nipple cream says you don't need to wash it off). Then reapply the nipple cream after cleansing. For sanitary reasons, most pumps are non-refundable/non-exchangeable when the seal's been broken. Hope this helps & good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiteria
    That stinks! My Avent hand pump actually had great suction, and the insert seemed to produce a better letdown for me than the hard Medela (never got the hang of it, even though it was hospital-grade electric that I was renting). The Gerber one seemed like a good idea, since the massaging part is supposed to work on the nipple as well as areola, and that's how I justified spending money on a second pump. Now I have to decide whether to splurge on a new Avent or just sterilize really, really well. We had persistant thrush, so my old one sits waiting for a decision while I am thinking that $30 for a pump is a lot less than another round of antifungal prescriptions, better safe than sorry. Meanwhile the frugal, packrat part of me cringes...sigh...and the Gerber was on clearance, so I doubt they'd refund it.

Guess Gerber doesn't really want you to produce a lot of ebm...the more room in baby's tummy for solids, right? Their nursing pads are some of the worst as far as promoting yeast growth (thrush), too!

IT IS A TERRIBLE PUMP. I called Gerber and they sent me a package to mail it back to them w/a copy of my receipt. I received a full refund. You might want to consider that.

good luck

to be honest, I bought the Gerber pump too and had a good experience with it. of course, i had to work on it to make sure all the parts were put together right, but I definitely was able to hand pump more with the Gerber pump with less pain than the Harmony medela pump I also have.
    Did you check the handle part? if that's not attached right, it will affect the suction. can't have any air leaks.