Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help! pumping won't work and need to leave baby

Default help! pumping won't work and need to leave baby

I've been pumping occasionally since my baby was about a month old. I use a manual Medela pump and have always been able to pump enough for one feeding. It's been a couple of weeks since I last pumped and this morning I tried and tried but couldn't get anything more than a few drops. I tried relaxing to help letdown but that didn't work. I need to leave my baby for a few hours this afternoon and don't know what to do if I don't manage to pump a bottle. Can I use formula? Are there any negative repercussions if I do this? My baby is 4 months old and exclusively breast fed.

Default Re: help! pumping won't work and need to leave baby

Hi,

You can leave your baby for a few hours, it'll be ok. She might get hungry and will be VERY VERY happy to see you. She might get a little gas from gulping down your milk when you are reunited if it has really been a while. At four months your baby is probably spacing out her feedings.

Try and feed her just before you leave. How long will you be gone? In my experience 3 hours would be fine, 4 is starting to push it and 5 would be too long without feeding.

I've seen so many things about what one bottle of formula could do to the intestinal tract that I would try to avoid leaving one. Here is one link, not an LLL resource:
    http://www.health-e-learning.com/art...tOneBottle.pdf

Maybe your pump needs some TLC? Try taking it apart and putting it back together, maybe boiling the boilable parts.

Good luck!

Have you tried pumping while baby is eating? That sometimes works for me when I can't get a letdown from the pump alone. I really hadn't had problems with pumping until about 2 weeks ago and for that 2 weeks I couldn't get anything unless baby was eating on one side, or sucked just long enough for the letdown then I could pump afterward. Just a thought.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Thanks for the advice and the link. I finally ended up pumping, as PP suggested, while nursing baby on other breast. But I still couldn't get enough for a full feeding.

I do have a hairline crack on the part of the pump that connects to the part that goes on the breast, but it's so tiny and feels smooth so I can't see how that could make the pump not function. But maybe it does.

I used the Medela Manual pump, and for about 4 months it was great. But honestly the thing just tired out and lost its suction- perhaps yours is doing the same thing. For future purposes, try to keep your freezer stocked with as much milk as you can. That way when something comes up, you'll be ready ahead of time. ( This was a lifesaver for me!! )

Hello, I've only used the pump a handful of times since I bought it 2 months ago, so I don't think it could be already worn out, but I have sure learned my lesson about not having milk already pumped and in the freezer!