Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nutrition & BF

Unhappy Nutrition & BF

How much does my diet truly affect him? Should I try harder to eat more fruit & veggies, cause I was sitting thinking tonight hmm I have not been eating that much, I am of course but wondering if I should be getting more, and cookies, and junk like that, is it bad for me to be eating them? I cook dinner pretty much every night so it's not like I am eating a bunch of fast food, but anyhow just wondering. TIA
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Default Re: Nutrition & BF

IMO... yes it does affect him. he might not be breastfeeding cookies and candy, but your body could be taking nutrients from YOU to give to him, and therefore will make you weaker. I'm not saying to run to the store for fruits and vegis... I have them and almost never find the time to eat them lol... but definately try to keep up on your three meals a day, healthier snacks, and your vitamins. hope this helps!
    Sarah

well I do have three meals a day plus snacks, and I do take prenatals still, just wanted to see what others thought, the "junk" I don't eat only that either lol so I guess it's not too bad, I do eat my WIC items too of course
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

thanks
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

I recently read an article that said even women in countries going through famines are able to sill make good nutritious breastmilk. So probably your milk is fine. But the thing is if you don't get enough vitmains for both you and your baby your body will still take what it needs to make milk - possibley leaving using deficient in vitmains. I'd be especially careful to get anough calcium b/c I read that your body will start to pull it out fo your bones to make breastmilk if it needs to.

I know where you're coming from though. I've been getting prettty slack on my eating habits since I had the baby - lots of bowls of cereal and stuff like that. I just try to make sure I get enough protein and calcium and take my vitamins. I've also started buying those bowls of pre-cut fruit - which they're a rip off but they're easy so I know I'll eat them before they go bad.

yea I have at least a bowl of cereal or at least one glass of milk a day, plus cheese or whatever else, and yeah sometimes I'll buy the precut stuff too lol I agree expensive but makes sure I won't waste it because it is lol
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC