Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: to pump or not to pump?

Default to pump or not to pump?

hey everyone.... I have a question is it ok to pump before my son eats? I am worried if I do will it effect how much he eats! I'm pretty positive I have OALD (im not sure if that makes a difference) I would like to build a supply so I have some when I need it but I'm having a very hard time!? any suggestions?

Default Re: to pump or not to pump?

pls help... does anyone know I would like to start and I have no clue!

not sure, but i hear if baby only feeds on one breast, try pumping the other. I have even seen post that talked about after a feeding...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

hiya,, i have been told it's best to either feed on one side and pump the other,, pump after a feed or an hour before a feed, so i guess it would affect the amount there was to eat, only if your lo was feeding on both sides....... if you have fast let down and it is a problem however, you can pump for 5 mins just to slow the let down down if that makes sense..

i find it best to pump first thing after my first feed as i have most milk in the morning due to less night feeds than day feeds.. hope this helps...

Be careful with pumping and then feeding -- it can lead to over supply issues.
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

Are you trying to build up a stash because you need to go back to work? I like to remind people that when you away from your child and another person is giving her expressed milk, you will be pumping more to use the next day/next time you are away. So you shouldn't need a huge supply to be able to go back to work. Pumping a little at the beginning of a feeding will result in having mostly foremilk stored which could be an issue down the line I suppose. It's better to pump after a feeding, though you might not get much out. It takes some people 3 or 4 pumping sessions to get enough for a feeding because pumps are usually much less effective at getting the milk out. babies are much better!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

i have OALD too, and this is what i did in my stash-building days. i would pump in the morning, after the first morning feed that i am actually awake (hehe), on the breast that my baby didn't use. But i was careful not to empty it as i didn't want to worsen the OALD. i would typically get about 50 to 75 ml (about 2oz) and since that isn't nearly enough for a full feeding, i would stick the bottle in the back of the fridge. Then the next day, i would pump and add the newly pumped milk into the bottle i had in the fridge to make one full feeding (100ml for me) and freeze it. My stash was slow to build up, but build up it did. Hope this helps...
    Last edited by cantabile21; July 26th, 2007 at 11:08 PM.