Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO staying awake longer

Default LO staying awake longer

I'm slowly beginning to realise that LO does not want to eat and sleep all the time
    shes staying awake longer.
    how does your LO pass the time?
    what do you do with him/her during those times?
    mine doesn't cry. she looks around, kicks, watches molecules float by or tries to suck her finger/hand/blanket

Default Re: LO staying awake longer

What an exciting time! Enjoy it.

i dont know how old your lo is so im not sure if she could do all this but when my lo got old enough i had different "play stations" i would rotate him in through out the day. he had his exersaucer, swing, high chair, and a blanket on the floor with toys. mine just enjoyed the change of scenery once in awhile. of course he still spent a lot of time eating and sleeping but i also would play with him quite a bit, read to him, and then there was bathtime too.

My daughter loved lying on her playgym from a really young age, she's now nearly 10 mths and still plays with it sometimes.

Reading to them is also great, they enjoy hearing your voice and the close contact.

We read books, play on her playmat, play with a couple of noisy toys, go for a walk, sing. make silly faces and noises. She's just starting to figure out how to touch things but hasn't quite figured out how to play by herself, so a lot of the time is spent with me trying to be entertaining. I do think she gets bored sometimes, and I promise her it will get better when she figures out her hands a little more!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I can't wait until my lo is awake (and not eating) for more than 10 mins. ususally i sing to him or let his big sisters play/talk to him. Dad soaks up some of the time too
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

tHanks for the replies. shes six weeks
    i don't want to be selfish and impatient but i guess i had grown accustomed to using her sleep time for me. now she's awake i can't just ignore her.....

At about that age they start to like the little play mat/gym thingys. With the colors and lights flashing. We started reading and playing pattycake and itsybitsy spider at that age too. Just find a few activities and rotate throughout the day. Even if it seems lo isnt getting much from it, she is. Or she is at least getting to know the sights and sounds. Its a fun age, but an age where you have to really get creative too. Once she starts sitting up in a couple months or so it will be much easier to entertain her, GL!

Quote Originally Posted by bello View Post
    tHanks for the replies. shes six weeks
    i don't want to be selfish and impatient but i guess i had grown accustomed to using her sleep time for me. now she's awake i can't just ignore her.....
    Yep, I remember that feeling. And Haley wasn't really a big sleeper even from day one. She was always more awake than other babies I've known at that age. Even so, I really got used to having SOME time to myself. You'll eventually get used to having a more awake baby and your expectations will change, and then it will be easier. Then all of a sudden she'll have a really sleepy day and nap all day and you won't know what to do with yourself!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Abby is 10 weeks and I miss the days where she slept almost non stop!

Seriously though, when she is awake we do different things. Sometimes I just sit her up in my lap and let her look around, or I'll lay her down on the bed and talk to her. She seems to be very amused at my awful singing so I usually get up and sing and dance a little for her while she looks at me like I'm crazy (all the while the HUGE smile on her face tells me she's LOVING IT) I get toys and make them talk to her. Some times I lay her in her crib with the toys hanging over so she can practice grabbing at them.
    I just got her a aqua bouncer yesterday that she already loves. She isn't old enough yet to bounce her self but she does seem to enjoy looking at the toys. It blows bubbles and makes all these fun sounds.

If you're super bored try going for a walk. Abby loves to go walking with me cause I narrate (sp?) everything. I point and ask "whats that?" or talk about the trees.

She seems most content when she hears my voice.

Be creative! Your LO just wants your attention!