Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone give vitamins to their baby? Trivisol? Polyvisol?

Default Anyone give vitamins to their baby? Trivisol? Polyvisol?

Just curious if anyone is giving vitamins to their 6mo + baby. My mother has been hounding me about this. Doctor said we can give it to our son if we want...she wasn't really helpful in this area. I guess the only reason I kind of want to give him the vitamins is because he isn't eating much for solids and we have this issue where he doesn't take a bottle while at daycare and doesn't wake in the middle of the night to nurse so there are some days I feel like he isn't getting a whole lot of nutrition.

Curious if anyone is using them and if so which one?

Thanks.

Default Re: Anyone give vitamins to their baby? Trivisol? Polyvisol?

I used tri visol until the weather heated up enough that we could go outside (or cooled down, in the case of last summer) so I could be sure she was getting enough vitamin D and until she was eating enough food that I felt like she was getting adequate vitamin A and C, for what it's worth.

Hi Chikim,
    According to LLL's BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK, human milk has been designed by nature as a complete food for babies. As long as the baby is thriving on his mother's milk alone, there are few circumstances under which he would need extra vitamins, iron, or other supplements in the early months.
    In some areas, flouride supplements may be recommended for babies older than six months.
    In the full-term, healthy, breastfed baby, extra iron is not usually needed until the baby is old enough to eat solid foods, and then foods naturally rich in iron can be given. Iron drops and iron-fortified foods can sometimes cause digestive upsets and can reduce the efficiency of iron absorption.
    Here's more from LLL's website, too.
    Should My Breastfed Baby Be Receiving Vitamin or Fluoride Supplements?
    Breastfeeding and Vitamins
    If he's not taking a bottle during the day and not nursing at night, how's his output/weight gain lately?

Mary

I tried to give iron drops and she just spit them out...
    they taste gross!

Post Re: Anyone give vitamins to their baby? Trivisol? Polyvisol?

My doctor suggested that I give TriVisol to my newborn so that he would get enought Iron and Vitamin D. I tried PolyViSol because I couldn't find the TriVisol. I must admit that I haven't been very consistent in doing so, because the vitamins are so thick, that he chokes on them when swallowing them. They smell terrible, he spits them out, and they stain EVERYTHING! He seems to be doing well, and we just get outside as often as possible to ensure that he gets plenty of sunlight. I do have a copy of the LLL "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". In that book, it says that giving a baby Iron supplements can inhibit their ability to absorb iron in the breastmilk, which I found interesting.
    My son seems to be doing well. My mother is also harping on me about the Vitamin D thing, so, I understand!
    Hope this is helpful!

I haven't given drops to any of my boys. I am confident with LLL's opinion that breastmilk is a complete food for babies, and if babies were meant to have more Vitamin D, it would be in the breastmilk.

Also, (and I hope I don't offend anyone with this) I noticed that the freebie bottle of drops I received at the hospital was manufactured by Enfalac. I'm wondering if Enfalac was looking for a way to capitalize on a huge chunk of the population by telling breastfeeding mothers that their babies are all going to get rickets and MS if they have a Vitamin D deficiency, so buy our drops!