Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not pumping enough for daycare

Default Not pumping enough for daycare

I have a 6 and 1/2 month old boy who eats breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as still nurses healthily. I have been sending him to daycare with 3 or 4 5oz bottles of breastmilk. However, after a week off over the holidays, my pumping quantities have drastically slowed down. Even if I pump every 2 hours, I can't seem to get back to the quantities I was getting. I'm also not feeling a let down anymore. I used to be able to pump up to 20 ounces during his absence, now i'm lucky if I get 10. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? I'm close to introducing formula out of desperation and am discouraged. I would like to breastfeed for at least one year.

Smile Re: Not pumping enough for daycare

Don't be discouraged about introducing formula to your son. I had the same problem when i returned to work. I thought i would never run out of the stockpile in my freezer, but it went very fast!! So while at daycare Christian drinks formula, he has no problem with it. In the beginning i would send enough bm to mix with the formula, 1/2 and 1/2. His teacher was willing to do this for me while we made sure he could tolerate formula. Now he gets one sippy cup of formula while at school, he nurses in the morn and right before bed-and of course....all thru the night,maybe to make up for lost times!!
    The milk i pumped while at work i used for mixing his cereal at home. It's not a bad thing to supplement, it helped me keep my "sanity" from not trying to power pump all evening while at home with him!

Default Re: Not pumping enough for daycare

Have you tried drinking extra water, eating oatmeal, mothers milk tea(or fenugreek)? These are things that can boost your supply.

Hi there,
    Christiansmom is definitely right that some babies will nurse a lot more at night to make up for not nursing as much during the day. Is your ds doing this at all? This would be a good thing.

Could you also try adding a pumping session to your day when it is most convenient? Even at home? This could help with your supply. Some moms do this: They wake in the morning and pump FIRST and then nurse the baby.

I would also suggest you talk to your son's caregivers and make sure that they are feeding him when he is hungry, and not mistaking other cues for hunger. Sometimes a baby will just need to be held a little more, and his need for large quantities of milk will go down. The caregivers will often offer bottle first. Maybe you could suggest they make sure he is hungry first.

Also, you could suggest they try not to feed him after a certain time, (say 4 pm, if you are getting there to pick him up at 5:30) and then you could nurse him immediately upon arrival. Also, could you nurse him there at the center right before you leave in the morning? That would give him some extra nursing time and give you more baby-stimulation. These are some things that have worked for some moms.

I would also consider that maybe your son has cut back on his milk needs due to his increase in solids. If a baby is taking in a lot more in solids, then a mother's milk supply may go down. Could you consider easing back on some of the foods you are offering, especially in the morning or evening when you are with him? This might help with your supply. It is hard to remember, but during the first year, solids are meant to be a compliment, but not a replacement, to a baby's main nutrition: breastmilk or formula. You could still offer some fun finger foods, but he won't fill his little stomach up quite as fast this way! Here is a link for more info:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html
    Please let me know what you think and good luck.

Are you sure the caregivers are taking care not to waste the expressed milk? If they are accustomed to using formula, which never runs out, they may not be taking every precaution to ensure that all your milk is used properly. It might not be a bad idea to have a detailed discussion of their procedures to see if there's any room for improvement.

Also, have you considered providing the milk in smaller portions? That might help the caregivers use only what is needed instead of throwing away milk from unfinished bottles.

Good luck; I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Moving this to pumping where it will recieve more replies!