Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP - Getting aggitated on the breast...

Default HELP - Getting aggitated on the breast...

My daughter is just over four weeks old. She has been nursing great. But recently (the past day or so) she seems to be getting very aggitated and frustrated while nursing. She will latch on very easily and then a few minutes after she begins nursing, she will get red in the face and start grunting and squeeling. If I take her off the breast, I will be able to calm her down a bit and she will latch back on a few minutes later. But, the cycle will continue throughout the nursing period. I feel that I am getting frustrated while she is nursing. But, more importantly, I am concerned that she is not getting enough to eat.

As an aside, after she was born, I cut out all gassy veggies from the get go. So, I really don't think it is anything that I am eating.

Here's the thing: I think that it may be one of three things:
    1. When she has to make a poo, it takes a while for it to come out. I think that she builds up to making a poo and that her tummy feels full or uncomfortable. So, nursing isn't comforting to her and maybe makes her feel more uncomfortable.
    or
    2. Maybe my milk is coming out too fast for her (or maybe too slow at times) and when it isn't the right speed she is feeling uncomfortable.
    or
    3. Maybe when she is really overtired or overstimulated she finds it more difficult or frustrating to nurse.

Do any of these things make sense? If not, what else can it be? If the above does make sense, is there anything I can to help her/us?

But, I just don't know what it is. I love nursing her and want to make sure that she is satisfied and feels good.

Oh - she has pee diapers throughout the day. And she makes a poo a day (but it is generally explosive and huge. It is mustard and seedy looking.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default Re: HELP - Getting aggitated on the breast...

Your milk may be coming too fast for her. Try pulling your breast up so the milk is hitting her at the top of the mouth rather than the back of her throat.

Sounds like her BMs are good.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1978 View Post
    As an aside, after she was born, I cut out all gassy veggies from the get go. So, I really don't think it is anything that I am eating.

Here's the thing: I think that it may be one of three things:
    1. When she has to make a poo, it takes a while for it to come out. I think that she builds up to making a poo and that her tummy feels full or uncomfortable. So, nursing isn't comforting to her and maybe makes her feel more uncomfortable.
    or
    2. Maybe my milk is coming out too fast for her (or maybe too slow at times) and when it isn't the right speed she is feeling uncomfortable.
    or
    3. Maybe when she is really overtired or overstimulated she finds it more difficult or frustrating to nurse.
    It might still be gas - my DS was extraordinarily sensitive to gas in his tummy and I had to burp him 4-5 times during each feeding. Also consider cutting dairy out of your diet if you think it might be a food sensitivity - dairy would make DS scream for HOURS

Otherwise, I think it might any combination of your other ideas. It sounds as though your letdown might bring the milk a little too fast for her, so consider unlatching her for a few moments when your milk lets down to keep it from choking her.

If you think overstimulation might be the problem, try nursing skin-to-skin in a dim room. That might help her settled and concentrate a little better.

Hang in there, mama, it sounds like you're doing great!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

If it is from a fast milk flow, try lying back a little to slow the flow down.

Could it maybe be a growth spurt? Has she been wanting to feed more frequently?

Or could it be reflux? When they suffer with reflux they can be in discomfort from feeding even though they are hungry... Does she seem settled after a feed?

It could be all of the above. We went through this around 8 weeks or so. Sometimes it was that she had to poo and needed a minute to compose herself. Sometimes it was because she was getting more aware of the world and getting distracted. (This only gets worse, so get used to having your nipple pulled in a million different directions!) Sometimes it was because she needed to burp. Most of the time it was because I had OALD/OS and it was making her mad. Now she will sometimes fuss because the milk isn't fast enough (because she's used to the OALD)! She also went through a miserable week because I had washed my nursing pads in Tide (which I usually don't do), and she didn't like the taste/smell. Babies can be pretty sensitive.

For info on OALD/OS, check out kellymom.com. Otherwise, keep experimenting with burping and putting her back on, or soothing her a bit and putting her back on, or whatever else occurs to you. If you need to take a break and try again later, that's ok.

Sometimes with Haley I have to give her the paci for a few minutes and then switch her onto the breast, or I even have to go so far as to turn on the hair dryer and stand next to it for a few minutes until she relaxes. A relaxed baby will fight nursing a lot less, so the more you can keep your LO calm, with white noise (vacuum, shower water, etc.) or nursing in a sling, the easier you'll find it. HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks for all the advice. My daughter had a much better feed this morning (although she only wanted one breast, waited half an hour and then ate on the other side.) But, I was glad and much more relaxed that she fed better this morning.

I guess I just have to get in the mindset that she may not always feed perfectly each time I nurse her. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something wrong or that there was something I could be doing that I wasn't.

I am going to try letting her rest while nursing and see if that helps at all with the fast milk letdown. Maybe it is coming too fast and she needs time to rest. We will go from there.

Thanks again...your advice is SO much appreciated.

Sounds like what Drew did in the beginning of every growth spurt he had. He nursed so well we ended up with an oversupply by the time he was 3 months! If you have larger breasts, it really helps to nurse laying as far back as you are comfortable ( for me I could lay on my back with him across my tummy) and see if that helps her. If it is the milk coming down fast, this could slow it for her.

Another thought... while babies don't get teeth till later, many babies have teething pain before those puppies even show up!! Of course, Drew's did, and whenever he had gum pain he would nurse a lil less often and sometimes get fussy at the breast as well... not as likely as some other things, but wanted to throw it in there, even if for the future!

Good luck and enjoy! The struggles make you even more proud of yourself than you could ever imagine!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1978 View Post
    My daughter had a much better feed this morning (although she only wanted one breast, waited half an hour and then ate on the other side.) But, I was glad and much more relaxed that she fed better this morning.
    Yay! So glad it went better!

Haley very often will only nurse on one breast, and sometimes she only waits a short while between sides. Other times she'll go a couple hours between sides. Just roll with it. That's the best thing you can do. (I had to learn this over and over--still do sometimes--the hard way!)

It sounds like you're doing awesome, mama!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaCow View Post
    The struggles make you even more proud of yourself than you could ever imagine!
    So true. When I saw my midwife for the 6 wk. pp visit, I told her about the struggles we'd had with bf'ing, and she said, "I'm so proud of you for sticking with breastfeeding. Most moms I see have given up by this point." It really made me feel good to know I had had the strength to overcome obstacles to do what was best for my baby!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?