Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP - Getting fussy on the breast...

Unhappy HELP - Getting fussy on the breast...

My daughter is just over four weeks old. She has been nursing great. But recently (the past day or so) she seems to be getting very aggitated and frustrated while nursing. She will latch on very easily and then a few minutes after she begins nursing, she will get red in the face and start grunting and squeeling. If I take her off the breast, I will be able to calm her down a bit and she will latch back on a few minutes later. But, the cycle will continue throughout the nursing period. I feel that I am getting frustrated while she is nursing. But, more importantly, I am concerned that she is not getting enough to eat.

As an aside, after she was born, I cut out all gassy veggies from the get go. So, I really don't think it is anything that I am eating.

Here's the thing: I think that it may be one of three things:
    1. When she has to make a poo, it takes a while for it to come out. I think that she builds up to making a poo and that her tummy feels full or uncomfortable. So, nursing isn't comforting to her and maybe makes her feel more uncomfortable.
    or
    2. Maybe my milk is coming out too fast for her (or maybe too slow at times) and when it isn't the right speed she is feeling uncomfortable.
    or
    3. Maybe when she is really overtired or overstimulated she finds it more difficult or frustrating to nurse.

Do any of these things make sense? If not, what else can it be? If the above does make sense, is there anything I can to help her/us?

But, I just don't know what it is. I love nursing her and want to make sure that she is satisfied and feels good.

Oh - she has pee diapers throughout the day. And she makes a poo a day (but it is generally explosive and huge. It is mustard and seedy looking.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default Re: HELP - Getting fussy on the breast...

I think your second idea of your milk coming out too fast or slow is probably the issue, since you mentioned the problem is when your LO is nursing. Perhaps your LO is having a hard time dealing with too fast a flow. If so, you could try leaning back to let gravity help slow things down. Or, if it's too slow, you could try doing breast compressions to keep your LO from getting frustrated. Hang in there! You'll figure it out!

All three of your ideas are things that my LO has done - also if he has gas - he does that. Sometimes its just figuring out WHICH thing it is this time.

Hope you get it worked out soon - it is frustrating!
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I responded on your other thread.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?