Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one breast only

Default one breast only

hi, my 4 months old baby kala only feeds on one breast alone every each feeding. I'm anxious if she's getting enough milk. she usually wants to be nurse every 5-6 hours apart. and takes about 4-5 minutes per feeding. I also have a hard time nursing her at night because she sleeps through the night and every time i try to offer my breast she refuses. can these be a normal thing? what will i do? help...

Default Re: one breast only

Hi, my DS also just feeds on one breast, but he feeds a little more often than yours, usually every 2-3 hours. How many wet diapers does she have a day? Is she gaining weight well? Try to feed her as soon as she wakes up from a nap while she is still drowsy or get her drowsy and then feed her, she might eat a little more then.

Hi some women manage to have enough breastmilk to feed from one only.

As GibrielsMom suggested, the number of heavy nappies and your baby's growth will indicate whether she is getting sufficient milk. Also is she contented between feedings? This would also suggest that she's getting enough.

At 4 months they become very efficient feeders and therefore only take a few minutes, so it sounds like you're going really well, congrats!

she wets 8-9 times every 24 hours. and she manages to gain a bit of weight. how about nursing her at night. where she seems to have a good nap and refuses to nurse. is it this ok?

As long as she is gaining weight and has enough wet diapers you shouldn't worry. Make sure the urine does not have a strong smell and is not dark in color, those are signs she may not be getting enough milk.

At night my DS sleeps about six to seven hours before waking up to eat. I was told by my LC not to wake up the baby to eat at night. During the day try to feed her when she is just waking up from her nap.

Good Luck and don't forget we are all here to help.

Just posting to hopefully give you some reassurance that nursing with one breast can be quite successful. I bf with one breast due to a surgery and we're still going strong almost 8 months now.

I've definitely had my share of doubts about my supply, but as the months have gone by, dd has continued to gain weight and thrive. She probably nurses a bit more than the average bf baby her age, and I'm a bit lopsided at times but in the end it's all worthwhile, she's gettin some good nourishment! Just keep an eye on the wet dipes like the pp mentioned, it's a real tell tale sign as to whether or not your lo is getting enough.

Haley almost always sticks to one breast per feeding. Just keep an eye on diaper output. 5-6 wets for sposies (6-8 for cloth) is a good indicator of getting enough milk. Also watch weight gain and whether your LO seems satisfied. If all of these are fine, then you're doing great!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Wink Re: one breast only

Hi there my DD only feeds off the right breast. I was also worried that she was not getting enough but her diaper output was fine and she gained weight. So I guess one breast can make enough milk!! Seems to me like you are doning just fine!!!!