Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bls/milk

Default bls/milk

For those who do BLS and give food from whatever you are eating, what about foods with milk in them? examples: mashed potatoes, cream soups, breads made w/milk, etc. do you give these foods to your babies under 1 year?

we do table foods but i wasn't sure about those w/milk.
    tia!
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Default Re: bls/milk

I did after 10 months, but I urge you to do your own research and decide what is best for your family. Some mothers like to wait until one year, while others start offering some dairy (such as yogurt) as early as 9 months.

i'm not really talking about yogurt/cheese as much as just milk. or foods w/salt, for that matter.
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

I have probably inadvertently given my lo foods with milk in them. I know for sure she's had ice cream (thanks grandpa) and it didn't bother her, but I would have rather she hadn't had it. She's probably had it in bread as well, since I give her all kinds of breads and never actually thought about it having milk in it.

I try to minimize the salt as much as I can. If I'm cooking I wait until I take her portion out before adding salt, but I know she gets it when she eats at my parents' house and at day care.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I did not give my LO anything with milk or eggs until after his 1st birthday. It is all your decision. If you or your DH have any history of allergies, I would recommend waiting. Neither myself or DH has any that we are aware of...so far anything I have given him has been fine. Even saying that...I will take the same precautions with my next LO, I am more comfortable that way. KWIM?
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet