Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trouble with self-feeding & sippy cup

Default Trouble with self-feeding & sippy cup

My son is about 10 months old. He does very well with eating solids -- pureed food that we feed him with a spoon and small pieces of soft fruits/veggies and cheerios. Problem is that he refuses to put the food in his mouth by himself. He will eagerly take it from my husband or I, but won't do it himself. He is able to pick up the pieces well (so it's not a "pincer" problem), but just plays with them or throws them on the floor.

We are having a similar problem with the sippy cup -- he will drink a small amount from it (breastmilk, water, or diluted juice), but only if we hold it for him. He can hold it himself, but just shakes it around like a toy. This is getting frustrating, because we can't leave him with a baby sitter for long (he nurses 6 times a day, but has absolutely refused breastmilk in a bottle for months now).

Any thoughts? He seems fascinated when he sees other adults/kids/babies eat with their hands, but just doesn't seem ready to do it himself. Thanks!

Default Re: Trouble with self-feeding & sippy cup

will he accept food from a sitter, or only from mom and dad?
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

It took my DD a while until she could actually get food in her mouth by herself. I would say 11.5 months it finally clicked. The sippy cup still isn't 100% mastered, but I continue to give it to her and she gets better every time. Every baby is different, just continue what you are doing and in time he will get the handle of things

Thank you. I know he will get the hang of it eventually -- I just wondered if we could do something to help him make the connection.

To answer your question, he happily accepts pureed food and finger food from us, grandparents, sitters, etc. Once my mom was able to help him guide a Gerber puff into his mouth, but he refused to let go! But he refuses a bottle from everyone, regardless of whether it has breast milk, water, or juice.

It's just frustrating to see him put *everything* into his mouth except food!

My sister was exactly like that. Even when she was about 2 years old, she would wait for my mom to feed her, both of her hands on her side. She is now 26 and feeds herself very well So I would say don't worry, it is probably a matter of laziness. We still make fun of my sister about it when she acts lazy about something

Have you thought of trying a different type of sippy cup? My two play with the regular cups, but love drinking from the nubby sports cups with straws. They also refuse a bottle, so the sports cups are the only way hubby can feed them.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo